Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel level

Vikimr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 2006 omega
Do the senders touch the bottom of the tank when empty? Maybe fuel residue sticking it down? Would a love tap with a tonya harding help to maybe free it up

Vikimr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 2006 omega
H
Sounds like the fuel float might be stuck. How often do you fill it all the way? If you havent filled it in a long time corrosion can make the fuel level sensor not work correctly. I would run a few full tanks through it first and see if it comes good.

If not then the fuel sender might need to be replaced. This might be problematic if your car doesn’t have an access cover under the rear seat to access the sender unit.

Apparently from what others on here have said the early VEs have an access cover but I cant verify if that is accurate. I’ve got 2009 model VEs and they don’t have an access port so replacing the sender means dropping the fuel tank, which involves dropping the rear subframe IIRC.
Do you know rough how much will it cost to fix the fuel float?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
H

Do you know rough how much will it cost to fix the fuel float?
You’d have to call a few mechanics and find out. On the plus side at least it’s not a major problem that needs fixing right now.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
if the sender is out of range it will show an error on the dash, both senders are linked together by earth and the resistance is taken individually to the bcm i think then the figure is put together and halved to give u the reading from each side as a single volume, if u have no warnings then it may have an issue where the float may have fallen off or something and one side is stuck on empty with the other side showing full will make the gauge only go to half way, if u know u have a full tank then that will be able to be seen with a scan tool as mentioned
Would you have any idea why my fuel gauge and cold start quality go to s**t when I'm running at least 3/4 e85? There's a distinct point where starting goes from amazing to terrible and it's usually accompanied by an inaccurate and stuck fuel gauge. I'm almost sure there were no errors, but it's been a few years since I've run that % of 98/e85 and can't be positive. Thoughts?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Would you have any idea why my fuel gauge and cold start quality go to s**t when I'm running at least 3/4 e85? There's a distinct point where starting goes from amazing to terrible and it's usually accompanied by an inaccurate and stuck fuel gauge. I'm almost sure there were no errors, but it's been a few years since I've run that % of 98/e85 and can't be positive. Thoughts?
E85 cold starts need some good adjustments to get them firing up reasonably quick, its usually the opposite of what people say to do, not sure about the fuel sender side that wont be affected by having ethanol in the tank, would prob have to look at data to see whats going in there