Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel prices...WTF?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by HERONVY, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    I think we went metric in 1976.

2. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    It was introduced over a couple of years.
    Seems so easy now, but I was completely confused trying to convert gallons, pints, and fluid ounces to cubic centimetres, milli-litres and litres.
    Had to do it for work, eventually gave up and rang the Conversion Board hotline for advice.
    Who would have thought that a 'cc' was the same as a 'ml', and that there was 1,000 of them in a litre. Definitely not me at the time.

3. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Slug powered VZ, a VE Calais & your mum.
    I used a Golden Fleece and an Ampol.
    All you bought in the servo was car parts.
    Yeahhhh. Good times. Good times.

wetwork65, VS 5.0 and losh1971 like this.
  4. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I remember the outcry when unleaded was getting close to a $1 per litre in SA. The word at the time was petrol will never reach $1 a litre unless you lived in the bush.

5. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    And don't forget the roster system for after hours fuel.

6. DavesSV6Tonner

DavesSV6Tonner Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
    Ahhhhh the good ol days. Looking up the Servo roster in the Courier Mail on a Sunday morning to get fuel to cruise up to Coolum for a swim.
    Or scrounging 20 cent coins for the coin op at the local Mobil. Super was 18.? cents a litre :eek:

7. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Its going to go up now the UK has announced from 2035 no combustion engine will be able to get rego. I like to know how farmers will be able to get the horsepower they need to plough up their paddocks with electric, imagine how many times they would take running back every 30min to wait 3hr to charge it up.
    No more portable generators for the tradie.
    No petrol chainsaws or lawn equipment.
    No more adding horsepower to your car.
    Every time you need a battery upgrade will cost around 10k. That's now but may get cheaper as it comes compulsory.

ABC talkback radio say they pushing Australia to take it up as well, so enjoy your cars before they are worthless garden ornaments.

8. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    If the trend towards EV's really picks up, the last thing you want is to be stuck with an expensive petrol vehicle that still has money outstanding, as it drops towards worthless. I'm hoping my current vehicle lasts another five years or so, then seriously considering an EV replacement. After ten years of service, the value of the current car won't matter.

9. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    I don't think that is the intention, it is the sale of ICE engine vehicles, not the use. So if you have one, you can use, when it is trade-in time, get an EV.

As for the ABC's agenda and reporting, they will not be satisfied until we are all LettuceGucamoleBaconTomatos living in a cave eating humanely euthanised insects. Their opinionated, sensationalised, left wing, greenie, sexually confused stories about unfortunate ethnic people with a multitude of problems make Australia seem like the worst possible place on the planet to inhabit.

Same here ……... a little red one, with little wheels, one seat and a flag on a stick at the back.

ephect, Calaber, VS 5.0 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Derekthetree

Derekthetree Active Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 SV Manual
    Yep, definitely only the sale of new ICE vehicles.

DVLA over there publishes loads of stats on registrations.
    Only 2% of vehicles in Q3 2019 were fully electric, so a long way to go, but it did double from Q2!

See graph below from here
    https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/veh02-licensed-cars

Interesting to see decline of diesel. I personally thought VW Dieselgate was a very clever piece of engineering and "letter of the law" following. However it seems the general public has voted with their wallet more.
    More efficient petrol technology probably helped too.

upload_2020-2-6_8-34-44.png

11. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    The proposed ban only relates to the sale of new petrol, diesel and hybrid cars.

No mention whatsoever of tractors, generators and other ICE tools or trucks & motor bikes for that matter.

Also, this plan is not new. BoJo has simpy announed it being brought forward by 5 years.

Don't foget, the oil producing nations still have a sh!t tonne of the stuff in the ground that they want to keep generating income from.

One of the great ironys in all of this is Norway who have a goal of no ICE vehices yet earn the income for their sovereign wealth fund from the sale of fossil fuels.

12. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    $1.21.9 at one servo $1.73.9 2 KMs up the road in Adelaide for 91 unleaded. Someone gouging big time OTR( one the run) in South Australia.

losh1971 likes this.
  13. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Norway, thy name is Hypocrisy :oops:

14. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    On The Run get people in the door by other offerings. They don't care if they don't sell much petrol, they sell enough Subway and donuts to make their money. Probably prey on those who think its all too hard to stop twice, once for petrol and again for lunch or snacks.

blackve76 likes this.
  15. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    To remove fuel the government would have to increase rego by putting a road tax just like the excise on fuel tax to help fund roads and other state funding projects, 41.6c in a litter goes to your state premier on diesel and petrol and 13.4c for lpg. 75% of that revenue goes into general revenue and 25% into looking after our roads, then you have the billions they make from toll and fines if it wasn't for motorist we be paying a much higher income tax to cover the cost of growth.
    For the 2013-2014 period they profited 10.8b from excise that was down 44% from the early 2000's, I think this is why they want to charge you tax per kilometre as fuel uses is on the down climb and they not making to much in revenue, I would say that's due to the price at the pump people just not driving as far anymore due to the cost of fuel, yes cars have become more efficient as well.
    I just dreading the day they call a ban on combustion engines it be a sad day but I don't see that happening in my life time, battery cars will need to get a whole lot better before it dominates the market and a hell a lot cheaper.
    Australia is just to big to go full electric I don't see it happening anytime soon but it will push the price of fuel up due to less sales. Only reason we pay high prices is because the oil company turn the taps down so they don't flood the market with barrels of oil keeping the price high, its greed and control.

16. keith reed

keith reed Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
    Just filled up the ve with 98 at Costco. $1.38 a litre. Lowest I have seen for a long time.
    The government make a lot of money out of petrol, if that goes expect to pay a lot more
    on car registration or road tax. What we pay now will appear to be quite cheap.

17. Derekthetree

Derekthetree Active Member

Members Ride:
    Gen-F R8 SV Manual
    As a relatively recent UK import I have to agree, petrol is dirt cheap here compared to Europe. Plenty more room for inflation.
    Currently between $1.20-1.80 for 91/95 petrol. Was 1.4 pounds easily.

Rego is an odd one though. Its basically flat rate (in Vic anyway) and you have 3rd party insurance at some level.
    UK road tax is "complex". They keep changing it. It was a sliding scale based on emissions, but now its only that for the first year (0-2000 pounds!) then flat, but you pay more for expensive cars. Electric cars are incentivised by zero tax.

18. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    And they pay there workers f all. Never support them.

losh1971 likes this.
  19. Nuffsed

Nuffsed New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais Sportswagon 08 LY7
    Convenience store that sells petrol. They make f all from the sale of fuels. Makes you wonder why we still call them service stations.

20. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Governments around the globe have already noticed the thin end of the wedge with respect to a decline in fuel taxes due to < 1% of vehicle sales being electric. It’s odd how governments can be attentive when there is a possibility to tax something :oops:

So, in the USofA, rego charges for electric vehicles are being increased in many states to compensate for the loss of fuel tax such vehicles ‘avoid’... yep, it’s seen as tax avoidance. Odd how such tax ‘avoidance’ is noticed and addressed yet the big business tax avoidance continues to go unchecked :mad:

Anyway, downunder there has already been discussions within some states about road usage tax via electronic means. Such a proposed tax would be based on kms driven with a possible peak usage charge being additional. Expect at some stage in the not too distant future, your rego label will return in the form of a little box or card that talks to the infrastructure which will result in you receiving a monthly bill. It will over time progress to a “don’t pay, can’t start the car“ model. At this point, Driverless Uber and it’s ilk will replace private vehicle ownership :oops: cost of petrol will be the least of our worries :eek:

The quicker the peasants realise they are simply fodder for the 1%ers, the quicker society will advance.