Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DavidVAte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Got a 2002 VX SS (Gen III LS1) it will crank but won't start by itself. If given power to the fuel pump through an external source or giving the rails fuel through an external source it will fire and run fine. It threw code "theft deterrent fuel circuit enable" or something similar once on my first scan (Using Envyous Customs program/cable, am also getting the BCM program to check that). Cleared the code and tried starting again, no luck. Started with external power to the pump a couple times and never got the same code again. Fuses and relays are fine. Checked voltage at the pump and it gets 12v for about a second when ignition is turned on but then cuts. Pump doesn't prime nor run on cars power. Yes battery is good. No security light comes on. Obviously has spark ect but no fuel pressure if pump is connected to the cars loom. Pretty baffled right now, tried both keys incase it was a security issue, nothing changed.

VTSS Adelaide

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vt ss
Hey mate mine done the same thing did you end up finding out the problem i would appreciate anything cheers

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Could be the Fuel Pump Relay in the fuse/relay box, or the Fuel pump/sender unit [being one unit] have to drop the tank out for that, as the unit is mounted on the top of the tank,
Check where fuel pump relay is located, then maybe go the wreckers and source a s/hand one [same rating], probably just a couple of $s.
Normally the Fuel pump will run for approx. 15 seconds to pump pressure up the fuel rail, and when the car starts, it starts again and remains running,
If it doesn't, try and hit the tank hard with your fist or a couple of times, and see if that gets I going, that always worked on the VN's, they were prone for faulty Pump/Sender Units. I had one, "1992 Update" S Pack [had VP Running Gear] and at about 140,000 k's is started playing up, almost the same time the Diff become noisy, change that to after about another 20,000 k's.
I only got caught out a couple of times to bash the tank, then replaced the unit, sold the car about 12 months later. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

VTSS Adelaide

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vt ss
Hey bud ive tryed everything bridged fuel pump relay theres not much more i could do besides change oil pressure sensor some people recon with the ls1 when that goes it cut power to the fuel pump wiring harness not 100% sure on that but its about the only thing left to try if that dont work im ringing mr tech 2 man for a scan . But ill give anything a go till he does a scan ☺

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Short out pin 5 & 6 on the ODBII socket, and see what code/s comes up,
at least it will give you an idea what it could be.

VTSS Adelaide

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vt ss
That doesnt work for ls1 only 5.0and 3.8 prity stupid if you ask me