Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Pump Lifetime

Celtic Eye

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega LPG
My Holden VE Commodore Omega LPG (D/Fuel) was manufacted in 2010.
In July 2014 My Fuel Pump (Petrol) Failed.
In December 2018 My Replacement Fuel Pump (Petrol) Failed.
I am now anticipating that the next Fuel Pump (Petrol) Replacement needs to be Scheduled for January February of 2023, with Ultimate Failure likely in June July of 2023.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Maybe it's an issue with the dual fuels cos my 07 VE with 265000 ks on it is still running the original pump.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Stop driving it with less than 1/4 of a tank of petrol and it’ll be fine.

I've heard this theory my whole life and I should've gone through dozens of fuel pumps across 20 years and just as many EFI cars. Yet I've never had one fail. Got mates that always drive around half-to-full tanks that have replaced pumps. Luck of the draw I reckon.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
My brother has killed 2 fuel pumps in different cars...routinely drives around untill empty light comes on or lets his car/bike sit empty for ages.

Then wonders why they get harder to start over time....

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I got around ~140,000kms out of each of the fuel pumps in my old VS.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Definitely not luck of the draw. When running lpg, the fuel is under pressure and is being constantly circulated from pump to rail (dependant on model) - in any case the fuel heats up very quickly. Heat is what shortens the life of the pumps, which is one reason you shouldn’t run them too low.

The other reason being that if you always let it suck the crap from the bottom of the tank there’s a higher chance of any scale/crap being sucked in restricting flow to the pump or damaging the vanes.

Of course they can fail at any time - I agree there but treating them poorly greatly increases the chance of failure. On that note, I use the $25 eBay pumps without issue. But that’s only because I know I have a backup (lpg) if they fail - the current one in my vs is up to around 150,000km and is still fine.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Definitely not luck of the draw. When running lpg, the fuel is under pressure and is being constantly circulated from pump to rail (dependant on model) - in any case the fuel heats up very quickly. Heat is what shortens the life of the pumps, which is one reason you shouldn’t run them too low.

The other reason being that if you always let it suck the crap from the bottom of the tank there’s a higher chance of any scale/crap being sucked in restricting flow to the pump or damaging the vanes.

Of course they can fail at any time - I agree there but treating them poorly greatly increases the chance of failure. On that note, I use the $25 eBay pumps without issue. But that’s only because I know I have a backup (lpg) if they fail - the current one in my vs is up to around 150,000km and is still fine.

I don't know much about LPG but really, how much scale/crap is kicking around in a modern car's tank? Like I said, I've abused every fuel pump I've ever owned and never had one fail. Maybe I'm lucky.

There was another thread about fuel pumps on here where plenty of other guys also said they run there's low all the time and never had one fail.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I normally replace the pump at 180k to 200k as a precaution. Cheap fuel like 91 reduces the life of a pump compared to 95 or 98, at least my bro in law reckons it does. He says that because of the amount of fuel filters he comes across that are blocked. He said once his customers change to premium fuels he doesn't have the same issue and the pumps last a lot longer.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
My Holden VE Commodore Omega LPG (D/Fuel) was manufacted in 2010.
In July 2014 My Fuel Pump (Petrol) Failed.
In December 2018 My Replacement Fuel Pump (Petrol) Failed.
I am now anticipating that the next Fuel Pump (Petrol) Replacement needs to be Scheduled for January February of 2023, with Ultimate Failure likely in June July of 2023.
You sure its the pump failing. I've read a lot of the ve's, its not actually the pump failing, but the wiring loom from within the tank.
One guy took his car to Holden. Four pumps later they discovered it was actually the loom inside of tank. This was over a period of time. May have been a year. Not sure.