Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel pump on the way out?

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Hi guys,
For a long time now (2 yrs +) I have had the odd grumbling noise from the back of the car, particularly when starting from cold. This has never caused issues, just I thought a little odd.

More recently I've had issues with warm starts (hot/cold fine, just hard to start again after a ~5 min trip). Car has new battery/starter/alternator and kicks over just fine. When I have this problem I let the car sit in "on" position and usually I'll hear that grumble again and it all goes fine.

A handful of times I've had the car completely cut out on me when idling/coasting, usually pulling up to a set of lights etc. Hasn't put me in danger yet but don't really want to mess about with this.

Just want to confirm the obvious - that the fuel pump is likely stuffed? Is there really anything else that can cause this? I'd just hate to get the pump replaced and still have problems :p

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Id say yes to the pump on it way out, has the noise changed as of late, or still just the same grumbling noise.
Mine changed its noise, was like ohh wtf, next day car wouldnt start.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
The noise doesn't seem to have changed at all, maybe just a little more frequent now is all.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Anyone else? Just want to confirm this before I go booking a mechanic :)

Thanks

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
Get the mechanic to check the wiring harness to the fuel pump while you are at it. They have a habit of burning out. Just an additional thought.