Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Buick] Fuel pump question

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
Hi guys. Iv got a VS super6 fuel pump that iv put into my VRs fuel sender, iv just been told i can use a pump (meant for internal mounting) externally. i always thought it was meant to be immersed in fuel to keep it cool but he says as long as theres fuel flowing through that it will keep itself cool. and since its only going to be a lift pump its not going to be under anywere near the pressure it otherwise would have been.

so basically, can i use an internal pump externally with no worries of it over heating?

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Besides the over heating issue you might have, how will you manage to clamp a home onto it? There isn't much of a lip on the pump... Give it a go, you can pick one up from the wreckers for about 30 bucks so no biggy if it goes bang!

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Im not too sure mate, but if I had to give an answer, id say it would over heat eventually...

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
will get hot its made to be submerged why would you take it out of the tank anyway it fits perfectly

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
so how many commodores get around with the fuel light on? the pumps usually exposed and out of the fuel level in that scenario. pump failure doesnt seem "that" common. or is it more common than i realise coz it hasnt happened to me?

so perhaps i should just try it hey. get a sumped fuel tank n mount my pump to it n see how long it stays cool for.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
basically, just not keeping the standard tank under the car because of how low it is so i want something inside the boot. and the stock tank is too bulky to really go inside so unless i mount the original fuel sender into the side of a square tank ill have to settle for a universal tank and i figured if i can use the pump iv got then it saves me having to buy another pump.
hence the question of wether or not the intank pump would overheat if not submersed in fluid. and a fellow i know who does all round performance work to a range of cars says that it wont overheat and so i wanted a wider field to ask.

so mike your saying it WILL overheat if not submersed?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the swirl pot is allways full so it keeps the pump cold they do wear out quite fast if you drive them low all the time .if you are going to build a tank with a sump you may as well just use an 044 external and be done with it