Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel pump upgrade...worth bothering with?

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
My fuel pump is on the way out and I was wondering whether it's worth getting a a beefier one, or whether on a 2014 VF SS with the standard bolt ons (OTR/ headers/ 100 cell cats/full 3" exhaust/tune) the factory one is all I need.

If an upgraded pump is worth doing, what should I go with.

Cheers

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Only if you plan forced induction or bigger mods later

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
If your not going to bump up the horses considerably at some point in the future buying a higher capacity pump will just be a waste of money.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If your not going to bump up the horses considerably at some point in the future buying a higher capacity pump will just be a waste of money.
I was going to say it's probably worse than that, because a bigger pump pushes more fuel which heats it up more - which you don't want.

But these days pretty much everything runs without return lines doesn't it - the pump only runs when needed? So that old effect probably isn't a Thing any more?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I was going to say it's probably worse than that, because a bigger pump pushes more fuel which heats it up more - which you don't want.

But these days pretty much everything runs without return lines doesn't it - the pump only runs when needed? So that old effect probably isn't a Thing any more?
Yeah. Pretty sure the pump only outputs the required pressure and that’s it.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
My fuel pump is on the way out and I was wondering whether it's worth getting a a beefier one, or whether on a 2014 VF SS with the standard bolt ons (OTR/ headers/ 100 cell cats/full 3" exhaust/tune) the factory one is all I need.

If an upgraded pump is worth doing, what should I go with.

Cheers

What's actually wrong with the pump?
The usual failure with the pump is the harness connector overheats, gets soft, starts to distort, then open circuits...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Gee, fuel pump “on the way out” in a 7 year old vehicle? That’s a rather piss poor effort from supposed quality factory parts Holden is pushing out… IMO, such is hardly “of durable quality” be it pump failure or a connector wiring failure :rolleyes:

At least you’ve likely got an access port under the rear seat which makes changing it much easier as is replacing the ‘unicorn dust‘ fuel filter :p

Poor VF2’s don’t have such access ports under the seat requiring owners to drop the whole rear sub assembly :eek:

Cleaning the tank is always a good idea, especially if you notice crud within… But whether you’ll be able to clean the whole tank via the access panel is doubtful. If that’s the case it’ll require the whole rear sub assembly to be dropped just to clean the 7 years of cruel crud out of it, at which point you’d feel the pain of VF2 owners :oops:

As for the pump itself, since you’ve got E85 capability, the pump is designed to handle 20%? more flow than the requirements of running on straight 98RON. So there is a bit of flow headroom if you are only running on 98RON :p What that means in terms of mods… can’t say with certainty :cool:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
At least you’ve likely got an access port under the rear seat which makes changing it much easier as is replacing the ‘unicorn dust‘ fuel filter :p

Poor VF2’s don’t have such access ports under the seat requiring owners to drop the whole rear sub assembly :eek:

The access panel was only used on early S1 VE's...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The access panel was only used on early S1 VE's...
OP simply said 2014 VF which I thought was series 1.

At what manufacturing date did Holden’s cheapness come into being?