Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel pump upgrade...worth bothering with?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
How do you know fuel pump is on it's way out?

Doesn't start then hit tank with hand for it to start or test test with fuel pressure gauge?

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
How do you know fuel pump is on it's way out?

Doesn't start then hit tank with hand for it to start or test test with fuel pressure gauge?

I'm getting it looked at tomorrow so I haven't had it confirmed that it is the fuel pump...but it's spluttering under steady acceleration and under light load, like going up a hill at a constant speed. It feels like a failing fuel pump but until it's tested I don't know for certain.

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
Well after getting an early service today it turns out the fuel pump is fine but the tune I had last week has resulted in bank 1 and 2 codes some leaning out and a bit of a misfire. There's also a flat spot that wasn't there after the tune was done.

Is it normal for a tune to need adjustments a week later after its been done? I'm taking it back to the tuner in a few days for them to adjust it...but this is the first V8 I've owned and the first dyno tune I've had done, so I'm admittedly a bit clueless.

Thoughts?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
tune shouldnt change, if it does it was prob adjusted with a temp related error and if its not in the same situation it will read different, or more likely your 02 are playing up causing issues sometimes a few dyno runs on old sensors can assist there failure, tuner should know whats going on

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Well after getting an early service today it turns out the fuel pump is fine but the tune I had last week has resulted in bank 1 and 2 codes some leaning out and a bit of a misfire. There's also a flat spot that wasn't there after the tune was done.

Is it normal for a tune to need adjustments a week later after its been done? I'm taking it back to the tuner in a few days for them to adjust it...but this is the first V8 I've owned and the first dyno tune I've had done, so I'm admittedly a bit clueless.

Thoughts?

Sounds like the tuner did not do their job right...

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
Sounds like the tuner did not do their job right...

Seems that way. Hopefully they'll get it right the second time around

EDIT: Well, turns out my ability to self diagnose is crap. The tuner went over the tune and said it's most likely ignition leads or plugs. A new set of leads and plugs later and everything is running perfectly once more. I guess that's one of the issues with buying a seven year old car...you never really how lazy the previous owner was with general upkeep. Anyway, problem solved and I'm a happy camper once more

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex