Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel pump will not turn off

vpdood

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp berlina
hey guys. i turned my car off the other day and noticed this buzzin from the back...so i went had a looksey and my fuel pump was still pumping. i opened the bonnet and held the fuel line and...u got it, fuel was pulsating through.....the keys werent in the ignition and if i just let it go it runs down my battery.....as i discovered outside red rooster. the only way i could stop it was to pull the fuel pump fuse out from the engine bay......any ideas ppl??? the fuse isnt blown either.

cheers

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
see if it stops when you unplug the oil pressure switch (it points forwards near the oil filter)
if so replace the oil pressure switch

Cheers Rob

VpV6

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP II Executive
The fuel pump has its own relay in the fuse box (in the engine bay).

Its possible that the relay is stuck closed (although I havent heard of it before). Pull the relay out of something non-essential like the high beam, or the rear demister, and put that relay into the fuel pump relay socket. (Dont put the fuel pump's original relay into the socket that you borrowed the other one from).

If the fuel pump turns off, then the relay is stuffed. Go down to the local auto retailer and get one with the same rating. If it keeps running, im not sure what it is. Possibly the ignition key or computer is stuffed.

Hope this helps

vpdood

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 vp berlina
i swapped some of the relays around but that didnt do anything so i know its not in the relay unit itself...i'll test for power in relays tomorrow and also "oil pressure switch" if i can find it. hahaha

cheers guyz

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I doubt you'll get a reply, the member was last active in 2010!

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Could be the oil pressure switch, could be the ECM. Do you have a 12V signal to the violet wire (top LH side) of the ALDL connector with the ignition off- that's the signal going to the fuel pump.