Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel pump

Timmy55

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
I think I have to replace my fuel pump, is it a good idea to change my fuel filter while I’m at it? the car has just over 200,000 and not sure if its ever been replaced? The car will randomly die on me. Sometimes when it’s hot and sometimes 1min after starting it?

Iv changed the CAS thinking it was that but still having the same issue is there anything else it could be?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Changing the fuel filter would be a very good start, it may have contributed to the death of your fuel pump.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd replace the filter and run some injector cleaner and see if that fixes the issue before replacing the pump. In case the pump is still ok. Although having said that I normally replace pumps at 200k regardless, as a precaution. But I drive remote roads where mob reception is non-existent.

Timmy55

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Thanks! I’ll try changing the filter first and see how she goes

Timmy55

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
So iv finally got around to changing the fuel filter but still won’t kick over Iv ordered a new fuel pump so when that comes I’ll change it over and see if she starts.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Check the tank for filings when you change the pump.

Timmy55

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
So I replaced the fuel pump aswell and it still didn’t end up working so I got a mechanic mate to check it out and it turned out to be the main plug for the coil pack ( apparently a common problem with the vt? ) he took it off And sprayed some wd40 in the plug and plugged it back in and it started straight away! Now it’s starts like new every time.
Now I have a new problem the car idles fine but when I accelerate over 3k it starts sputtering and it’s like there’s a lack of power could this be blocked injectors or bad spark plugs or leads or something else?

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
So I replaced the fuel pump aswell and it still didn’t end up working so I got a mechanic mate to check it out and it turned out to be the main plug for the coil pack ( apparently a common problem with the vt? ) he took it off And sprayed some wd40 in the plug and plugged it back in and it started straight away! Now it’s starts like new every time.
Now I have a new problem the car idles fine but when I accelerate over 3k it starts sputtering and it’s like there’s a lack of power could this be blocked injectors or bad spark plugs or leads or something else?
Take it back to your mechanic m8

Timmy55

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Idn how old the leads are iv owned the car for about 3 months I’m guessing they have never been replaced. Ill get my mechanic to have a look at it and see what he says.