Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel pump

Bradley Molloy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 3.8l
I've had a hectic few days trying to get my vs 3.8l ecotec running right it's been serving stalling and splattering under exelaration I first thought bad fuel and injector problems so I put some F'10 injector cleaner in with a full tank it and replaced the fuel filter ran ok for about 150kms then problems came back I then thought injector issues so I pulled them out hooked each one up to a 9v battery and gave them a good clean replaced the seals and put them back in and drained the petrol tank and put fresh fuel in drove fine for a little bit now problems are back my fuel light came on with a full tank in it and the gage isn't registering fuel pump sounds like it's priming I replaced the relay and it ran ok for a minute or 2 then I went to take it for a drive stepped out on 110kms road and the splattering was back when the car is running there is quite a loud buzzing coming from the fuel pump I unplugged the pump cave it a blow out and plugged it back in my fuel gage then worked but the buzzing was louder do fuel pumps start playing games when they are on there way out? Or does anyone know what the problem could be?

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Yeh, they do play up. You'll probably need to replace it, but first check relay and fuse with swap. Make sure all pins are clean and tight.

I've also had a pump play up just from an oxidised and dirty connection at the pump. Contact cleaner and a wire brush restored good connection.

By all means, chuck a fresh pump in it, but check the little things first. Pump may be getting 12v but sfa amps.

Bradley Molloy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 3.8l
Yeah was just gonna buy one after work finished late car only made it half way home I now have a multimeter so am gonna test the plug for ground and voltage before I buy a pump the plug looks ok but that's just looks the fuel Guage isn't working wich makes me think it could be the plug the pump primes I bridged the relay with abit of wire and could hear the pump running tried to drive home with the relay bridged but it started serging so didn't want to tempt it on the free way but the serging makes me think low voltage to the plug hopefully cause the cheapest price I could get by doing the ring around at lunch was 100 for a new pump fixing the plug would work out heaps cheaper

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Make sure all the female spades in the fuse and relay block are tight. Squish them if needed.

Bradley Molloy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 3.8l
Cleaned the connector at the pump tested it with a multimeter the wire that is earth I think is reading 00.08 put I can't figure out which wire is negative and which is positive I want to test the negative and positive side

Bradley Molloy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 3.8l
Thanks heaps for all the good advice first vs got it cheap and all ready had to do heaps with it

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
VS are known to have fuel pump wiring problems. Sometimes the looms need replacing.

Bradley Molloy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 3.8l
Yeah I think it just has **** wiring all thru all ready had a problem with the aultinator wire now this I think it's the connector on the fuel pump getting better readings from the wire under the boot lining only getting 8v at the connector but getting 13.5very under boot lining not even sure if I'm testing the right wires it seams like the volts are coming thru the purple wire with is the 3d hole on the connector and I think the black wires in the 1st hole is ground with is reading 0.05v that's the car running the 2nd hole on the connector has a cream wire with is reading 2.5v I'm guessing that would be the fuel gage but I'm only guessing would love a connector diagram or something to know for sure I think the purple is positive because it's reading about the same as my battery reads I'm going to try playing around with the connector I think it could be wires rubbing or touching together in there

Bradley Molloy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 3.8l
Sorry for the long posts I'm so frustrated with this car glad I don't need to get a fuel pump tho would have been f@#ked draining a full tank

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Is it actually delivering fuel to the rail ?