Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel smell and rough idle

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Evening guys and girls. Since i brought my VY2 SS about 2 months ago i've noticed and been ignoring the obvious smell of fuel at the rear of my car. Along with this the car has a rough idle. Car drives perfectly and never misses a beat when driving. Can anyone shed some light on what might be the cause of these two minor issues? Car has done 92,000 and is running on 98 octane fuel and has had two bottles of injector cleaner put through it recently.
Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
Whats your fuel usage like???

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
02 sensors. should be under 13 combined

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
Given the age of the cars now, I'd be getting underneath it and looking for perished fuel hoses etc as just a precaution.
I've also seen the vent pipe that runs from the tank to the filler neck left off after a fuel tank removal...might be another item to check.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Sorry to say but that could be quite normal, this week mine has been 16.4l/100km average speed 43km/h, although i went thrashing around last night.

16.8 litres per 100km after some around town driving this morning.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
The Smell at the rear of the car could be the fuel cap, the old mans VYSS had a faulty cap brand new !

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Sorry to say but that could be quite normal, this week mine has been 16.4l/100km average speed 43km/h, although i went thrashing around last night.

The economy i'm not to worried about. The lumpy idle annoys me and the rear of the car smells of fuel a lot and at lights i can offen see white looking smoke.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
The Smell at the rear of the car could be the fuel cap, the old mans VYSS had a faulty cap brand new !

It wont be that. Even when i fuel up the car i can barely smell fuel at all. But when the car has been running a while it stinks of fuel near the exhaust.