Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Smell in Cabin - Storm Ute

VZStorm3793

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Storm
Hi all,

I have been noticing a fuel smell in the cabin (Ute) and have pulled out the tub liner and checked around the fuel tank for obvious leaks, cracked hoses but cannot seem to find any. It seems to be worse when the car is revving at 3000rpm and above. So I' am wondering if there may be a slight leak in a hose, or a worn 'o' ring that when under pressure is leaking.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
Plenty of people have experienced it in the VZ sedans but I'm not sure about the ute.

In the sedans the solution is simple. It is a badly sealing 'O' ring on the cap.

After putting the fuel cap on till it clicks, hold the cap itself around its circumference & tighten it up a bit further.

Just makes it seal a bit better & prevents fumes from venting into the boot area, which is then picked up by the air recirculating fan.

Give it a try on your ute. If it doesn't work then nothing lost.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
When driving or stopped?

aussiexbox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman Storm
Have the same issue in a Crewman,stinks to buggery when you pull up,and if you drive with the window down it seems to draw the fumes in as well,as for the problem,I'm to dan lazy to look at the moment.......lol

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Make sure that after you replace the fuel cap give it another 3 - 4 complete clockwise twists to ensure that it is adequately tightened/sealed. A common problem.

nch640

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz lumina v6 auto
my sedan had petrol fumes and the dealer replaced the petrol cap. worked for a while then the fumes came back. someone told me to tighten up the cap until it clicks once, then hold it on the outside ,pull it toward you and tighten a bit more. it does not click if you pull it out. works a treat. cheers

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Fuel tank caps (with a plastic loop tether to the fuel filler flap) were found to be faulty by Holden and prone to bleeding fumes that were picked up in the cabin, typically VY, VZ Commodores. Dealers will swap over a fuel cap without charge (the new caps have beefy oversized o-rings to correctly seal the tank) if you have any sort of service relationship with them. It's something that should be checked and the ingress of fumes can be quite overpowering (requiring all windows down and air to be recirculated).

Filthy_Phil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S Ute
i had exactly the same problem and found out that the hose connector from the tank was the cause, when taking off it pulled the hose a bit and it there was fuel on the top of the tank, cause holden dont sell just the plastic cap that is connected to the fuel pump assembly you have to buy the whole thing, they stung me $620, i am in the process of writing to them stating i dont like the charge when i had fuel leaking ontop an exhaust pipe that could have made me go boom, and it is only 5 years old too. wat a joke

VZStorm3793

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Storm
Thanks for all the replies peoples, much appreciated. Have tried turning the fuel cap a few more times and haven't noticed the smell as badly. Will keep you posted if i find the problem to be something else. Cheers