Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Stabiliser

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Hi guys, any recommendations or precautions for a fuel stabiliser to use for a car in storage?

Would it have any effects on other fuel system components?

Thanks

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I've left cars and jet ski's for 6 months several times when living OS and they just fire up on what's in the tanks.
How long are you leaving it for?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Stabil is supposed to be ok

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi gossie, definitely doesn’t get left for six months, every two months or so it’s gets a run, but what’s left in the tank could sitting in there for a lot longer.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks losh, I’ll check it out

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There are lots of views but BP considers the storage life of fuel in a sealed container to be 6 months @ 20C (3 months @ 30C).

However, when fuel is stored in equipment containers, like the tanks in lawn mowers, motorbikes and old cars, storage life is considered to be 1 month. But as modern vehicle fuel tanks are sealed... i guess storage life depends on how sealed the tank is. I'd think the truth is somewhere between 1 month and 6 months.

Some advise filling up the tank completely (as it reduces water ingress via water vapor in the air). Some advise keeping the tank at 1/3 topping up when you are goint to drive (replenises teh most volatile stuff).

Probably the biggest proviso, is that one shouldn't use petrol containing ethonol if living in humid climates when you store the vehicle for long periods. This is mainly due to ingress of water vapour causing it to mix with the ethonol which ends up with water/ethanol mis at the bottom of the tank. The process is complex and its called phase seperation. Starting a car with lots of water/ethanol at the bottom of your tank can cause damage o_O

Other than that, fuel stabiliser is used to primarily to stop rust and such issues on older metal fuel tanks. Modern cars have plastic tanks and pipes so it's probably not needed. Oddly it's a selling point of BP ultimate which contains anti-oxidants, metal deactivators and corrosion inhibitors.

A fuel stabiliser can't stop the natural evaporation of the most volatile components (or any components for that matter) otherwise Fuel companies would be using it in their fuel as part of the standard composition (to increase storage life).

ps: fixed up speeling mistakes and clarified what equipment container is...

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I heard that they make fuel only last a month before it begins to deteriorate. This is apparently to help it break down in the event of a truck roll over or car accident causing a spill. Premium fuel is supposed to be ok for six months, although some say it only lasts a month.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply’s guys, some really good info there appreciate the input

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Why is fuel so inconsistent? I've only used 98 in my tuned l77.