Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel tank breather lines.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I spoke to a mech and he reckons they came out with a reducing elbow which also stops the pipe from kinking. However Holden don't list such a part. According to the mech they all snap as they become brittle. Can anyone tell me how they have gotten around it? I can probably have one made but it will be 50 - 60 bucks and take three days.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
YEah 5mm would be about right for the breather hoses, whatever you do, don't use 3mm as suggested in another thread, I had a #### of a time getting them on they were so tight.

In case anyone is replacing these, it might not be the same on the sedan or wagon but on the ute you need 1.1m of 8mm to go from the filler neck vent to the charcoal canister hard line. You also need to make an adapter to make 8mm pipe connect to the 5mm breather outlet on the filler neck. Holden do not have a listing for this adapter either, so you need to manufacture something.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
when i did mine at least 13 years ago took a bit of the plastic pipe to local parts joint they did not have that size so took the next size which is 3/8 (9.5mm)id got the off cut here made in the good ole US of A didn t know that
we just tighten the hose clamps gave it a good tug been good ever since last time i pulled the tank out was just over 8 year to replace the pump

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Stick3, I'm thinking I will get 1.5m of 8mm, 1.2m if I can and see if they can sell me 30mm of 5mm plastic that I can slip inside the fuel line, to help tighten up the grip. Instead of having an elbow made I will put a wide bend in the pipe so it doesn't kink, hence the need for a fairly long pipe.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i just had a look in the gregorys there a pic of sedan vapor pipe join to the plastic hose holden used bit of rubber hose with 2 clamps

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Going to resurrect this thread to see if i chance it that someone has the same setup and can provide a photo or two to confirm how the lines run.

I have two series 2 VS Commodores, one the V6 Executive, and the other a V8 SS.

The fuel vapor return lines on the SS have perished (the shitty clear old stuff).
It has the same vapor separator setup as this:
upload_2020-4-21_19-39-56.png

The interesting thing is there is some differences between the SS models and the V6 models, as this is not the same setup on the V6 Exec!

I am wondering if anyone has the same setup that they could confirm where the 14 and 19 lines run to.
I assume that by the 11, 19, 13, and 18 that this is the line that runs from the charcoal canister.

But where does 14 go to? is it simple a vent to the atmosphere? But why is there a connection on 9 that also appears to vent to the atmosphere?

RMXR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6 A5 & 1997 VS II A4
Going to resurrect this thread to see if i chance it that someone has the same setup and can provide a photo or two to confirm how the lines run.

I have two series 2 VS Commodores, one the V6 Executive, and the other a V8 SS.

The fuel vapor return lines on the SS have perished (the shitty clear old stuff).
It has the same vapor separator setup as this:
View attachment 210628

The interesting thing is there is some differences between the SS models and the V6 models, as this is not the same setup on the V6 Exec!

I am wondering if anyone has the same setup that they could confirm where the 14 and 19 lines run to.
I assume that by the 11, 19, 13, and 18 that this is the line that runs from the charcoal canister.

But where does 14 go to? is it simple a vent to the atmosphere? But why is there a connection on 9 that also appears to vent to the atmosphere?

Series 1 and Series 2 VS V6s had different tanks and vent systems.

It's been a while since I got rid of my Series 2, but I did replace the vent hoses while I had it. Pretty sure the photo above is Series 1.

Later: I just found the parts printouts for the VS Series 2 Sedan vent hoses etc from when I changed mine in 2014. I'll scan or photograph them and post them.

Gary

RMXR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, Series 2 has a much more simple tank vent system.

See attached.

Attachments

• VS Series 2 Sedan Fuel Tank Vents.pdf
    851.3 KB · Views: 605

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Thanks guys, I suspect I am wrong regarding the SS being series 2 based on the PDF and what is setup on the V6 Exec (definately Series 2)

I am going to drop the tank on the SS this weekend and see what i can see. I understand it is a pain in the butt though, one of the threads talked about the lines running through a hole in the chassis above the tank.

Then it'll be a waiting game to order some new pipe to replace it all - stupid lockdown here in NZ limits what we can get to now.

RMXR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jaymz, keep in mind that the .pdf shows a Series 2 V6. The V8s may have been different from the 6s.

Series 2 V6 tanks have one large and one small vent pipe fittings in the top middle of the tank. Pretty sure the Series 1 had one large and two small pipes.