Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel tank breather lines.

DavoVP

Reaction score
Does any one know of a universal Kit ?

I don't really want to pull out my tank remove lines and go to a auto store to match them up, Id prefer to have a kit on hand and not mess around.

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
I was wondering the same thing. I am going to holden tomorrow to ask so i will let you know

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Holden dont stock the breather hoses anymore (only the big main one on the filler neck).

Ive recently replaced all the breather's on the VS's fuel tank, couldnt find the factory clear hose but I used 3/16" (4.8mm) ID fuel injection hose and it was a direct replacement.

Cheers,

EDIT: get a few metres of it to be on the safe side.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Holden dont stock the breather hoses anymore (only the big main one on the filler neck).
Thank the lord for that..... whatever they used is the most useless thing I've seen in a long time...... The black stuff used on late 70/early 80's holdens is usually still intact if you ever see it, be it brittle if you try to bend/remove it, but it's usually still sealed and not missing like the crap clear/opaque stuff....

I took a piece of the old line with me when I last did this (and everytime before), forget what size they had in stock but the ID (as above 3/16" is fine, 5mm is the diameter of the pipes on the spare tank here) was close, just use some crc/wd40 etc to aid getting the new hose over the pipes.
The OD was larger but wasn't an issue, it's a prick of a job at the best of times, loooong handle pointy nose pliers are damn handy to get the spring clips back on the tank (and the hose back on).

The larger pipe from the tank to the filler neck has always been fine when I've tackled this, It's still a pain but easier to just do the smaller lines if you don't need to do the big bugger (still leaves sfa room between the top of the tank and the boot floor either way).... forget replacing the spring clamps with new hose clamps on the top of the tank as well (easy enough to replace them on the vapor liquid separator)....

DavoVP

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was hoping this wouldn't be the case.

I may get the large hose from holden spares and grab the rest over the counter in repco or the like. I did a bodge job last time to stop the fuel smell but my pump is about to give up. I guess I should do it all properly this time around.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
YEah 5mm would be about right for the breather hoses, whatever you do, don't use 3mm as suggested in another thread, I had a #### of a time getting them on they were so tight.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Be so much cheaper to just bring some old hose to repco and get a meter or so rather then going to holden.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
You need about 2.5metres to do from tank to filler.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Oh and yes, buy your hose from a spare parts shop, cheaper than Holden.

DavoVP

Reaction score
Oh and yes, buy your hose from a spare parts shop, cheaper than Holden.

Ahh I was referring to the one that's about the diameter of your thumb. Its the only one holden still stock and they want a massive $5 for it.

I will get the rest from a spare parts store.