Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Tank,Fuel Pump Assembly and Swirl Pot.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
My car let me down yesterday by stalling at the lights and not starting again and the tank was a little under 1/4.... pushed the car until I got sick of it and the ground was more level got it going for a short time again and drove it to the servo but it stopped again but this time 10 feet from the fuel pump at the servo....it started after a couple of attempts for long enough to get it to the pump so I filled it up and now its runs fine ...Im assuming its a broken return line and I want to fix it soon. I do everything on my car myself and have fixed fuel line leaks at the tank before using solder and normal soldering iron....I was thinking of taking tank out and emptying out the fuel and filling up with water and cutting open tank and fixing the hose myself and soldering it back up...anyone else done it this way?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
My car let me down yesterday by stalling at the lights and not starting again and the tank was a little under 1/4.... pushed the car until I got sick of it and the ground was more level got it going for a short time again and drove it to the servo but it stopped again but this time 10 feet from the fuel pump at the servo....it started after a couple of attempts for long enough to get it to the pump so I filled it up and now its runs fine ...Im assuming its a broken return line and I want to fix it soon. I do everything on my car myself and have fixed fuel line leaks at the tank before using solder and normal soldering iron....I was thinking of taking tank out and emptying out the fuel and filling up with water and cutting open tank and fixing the hose myself and soldering it back up...anyone else done it this way?

Mate,I dont think its really worth the trouble.Id just get a second hand tank from the wreckers if the return line is broken off from the swirl pot in your tank.There was one guy on here who cut his fuel tank open to fix the return line.I dont think he had much success with it.Im pretty sure he just ended up getting a second hand tank to fit instead.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Cant believe this but my 12 yr old son has hands small enough to fit through the sender hole..he just undid the clamp and took the hose off...and replaced and did up .....took 2 mins...no welding no worries

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Just found out that holden service the return hose that goes between the swirl pot and sender unit pipe and it comes complete with the connection to the sender unit pipe on it and for 15 dollars .......part number 92047898 its pre bent and the actual connection has ears that release from the side and you can do it with your fingers so you dont need any tools...much better than the old one....and the part is made in australia not turkey like the ripco version

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Cant believe this but my 12 yr old son has hands small enough to fit through the sender hole..he just undid the clamp and took the hose off...and replaced and did up .....took 2 mins...no welding no worries

There is always a simple answer to a complex problem eh! That is really "thinking outside the square" yet totally logical. Good one:beer chug:

commatador

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Hay I just found how to do it!!..

To replace the hose between the sender and the swirl pot inside your tank you don’t need to undo the hose clamp (you can see when you look inside your tank at the end of the hose), nor do you need to have a 12 year old son.

Simply get your long nose pliers grabe the hose and yank it out of the tank. Both the hose and a plastic conector that clips into the swirl pot come out, you can then undo the hose clamp and replace the hose back on to the plastice conector . Then guide the new hose with the plastic conector back into tanks swirl pot hole. You may need to rotate the hose once the plactic conector is in the swirl pot hole to get it to "click in"..

That's it!!

Good pictures.. Thanks

outseeker

Reaction score
Website
outer.reaches.dyndns.org
Members Ride
S2 VN Calais V6
Yes. Extremely handy!! :D

Heres some pics of the inside of the fuel tank with the pump assembly fitted.
My swirl pot (not the one in the pic) was loose and floating around on the bottom of the tank so I cut open another old tank to see how it is meant to go.Ive never had fuel pickup problems either.I thought these might be handy for anyone changing their fuel pump as they can get an idea of how the pump sits in the tank and how the return hose is connected inside the tank.

You are a total legend! Those pics are (as you had hoped) incredibly useful! Thanks so very much mate :D

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
No need to cut the tank open if you are just replacing the return hose, with a pair of long nose pliers just grab and pull the ventry (the bit the hose is connected to) and pull it out, replace the hose, then guide the ventry back into place with the new hose connected and push and click it back into place.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Keep meaning to say thank you Brett on this one. The guide by Jxw was very good but this was just the icing on the cake when I whacked in my Walbro. Seeing how it all lives together made it painless and about one hours work including the mods to make the Walbro fit.

Very clever thought mate.

Nzguzzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Executive Wagon
Cheers for this guide on how to.
My VN was running out of gas on a little less than 1/4 of a tank after the mechanic changed over the fuel sender unit.

Now that we know what it is, we can solve the mystery.