Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel tank repair

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I would have cut and welded hundreds of tanks using a 3-phase 400amp mig welder,with 0.6mm wire and CO2 or Argoshield.
Never had any problems or returns.
If you search, there is a thread with pics where I cut open a VR wagon fuel tank to replace the return line and welded it back up. I have this VR ecotec wagon in my backyard right now and can say it has not leaked for 10 years.

Okay you must be a very good welder. I just tacked in a new swirl pot I made out of 1.5mm plate hit the plate and eased the puddle down to the tank steel and it had distortion on the other side that looked like it was about to blow through. I even got the tar **** to burn through the weld when I was welding from the other side so I'll have to braze over those four tac spots.

I've never seen a neat weld done on 1mm or 1.5mm with the mig and it's a stop start affair..... I guess you'll tell me you ran straig beads.
The issue with steel mig welding is not the quality of the welder it's the fact that mig welds are more pourus which is why all boost aplications use tig.

Like I said you must be a fu cking crazy welder to stop the key hole from enlarging over a 1mm key hole which on those tanks is ******* hard to do. I did a seam weld with the 196 welder I demoed on 1mm steel and I got a few key holes open up and had to fill them and the weld looked shi t. I would not trust that style of weld to be 100% water tight even if it holds you could still have a pin hole only letting a few mills out over a long period.

Silicon Bronze brazing is guaranteed to not have porus welds and is just as strong and will braze 10x faster than the stop start welding you need to do with mig steel.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I've never seen a neat weld done on 1mm or 1.5mm with the mig and it's a stop start affair..... I guess you'll tell me you ran straig beads.
The issue with steel mig welding is not the quality of the welder it's the fact that mig welds are more pourus which is why all boost aplications use tig.

Mig welding is not porus unless the metal has impurities or your shielding gas flow is not good. I only had some porous welds on old petrol tanks or during hot weather when I had a fan running on my welding bench.

I also welded trailers for many years and had no problem welding 3mm trailer chassis to a 0.6mm floor on the cheapy trailers. The odd one may have needed a quick grind from too much penetration on the inside trailer floor.
I only did chassis, springs and drawbars. The other guys put on sides and welded mudguards to the sides that were mostly 0.6mm steel.

I had a welder friend who worked for Walker mufflers and I am sure they are thinner than 0.6mm outer skin.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Mig welding is not porus unless the metal has impurities or your shielding gas flow is not good. I only had some porous welds on old petrol tanks or during hot weather when I had a fan running on my welding bench.

I also welded trailers for many years and had no problem welding 3mm trailer chassis to a 0.6mm floor on the cheapy trailers. The odd one may have needed a quick grind from too much penetration on the inside trailer floor.
I only did chassis, springs and drawbars. The other guys put on sides and welded mudguards to the sides that were mostly 0.6mm steel.

I had a welder friend who worked for Walker mufflers and I am sure they are thinner than 0.6mm outer skin.
.6mm is incredibly uncommon. .8mm is much more common but not for trailers.

Welding thin to thick is easier than welding thin to thin. It’s just a matter of directing the heat into the thicker material - it acts as a great heatsink so you don’t blow holes in the work.

I’ve always been told that mig welds have a high tendency to be porous - so tig welding or brazing is the way to go. I’ve tigged auto pans with great success and no leaks.