Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel tank repair

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
MPCzxQcyVFtbS4Nf7

LXAMivtjA6nDRrqd9

vCKk8QcjzY786tdB6

So I need to clean my tank for the ute. So I did this two weeks ago and I'm waiting on my new welder so I can mig braze it back together. I tried welding in some baffles but the tank is too thin and fuel soaked so the steel wants to burn holes. So I'm getting a mig/tig/stick combo DC inveter. I'm going to buy a Bernard gun to run the steel wire and see if I can re-line the gun it comes with, with a teflon liner to run the bronze.

I'll have pics of the finished brazed baffles and the re-seam in bronze all done on the mig after X-mas as the new gun is $200 the wire is $200 for 5kg and the pure argon is $200 then I need argon and Co2 mix to run the steel wire. I will get some helium so I can run DCEN TIG for 6061 alloy sheet in the future.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Damn the pics didn't load ffs.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Try load them one pic per post

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Get the silicon bronze wire.
Yea I'm going to do the whole job im bronze as the welder I bought is synergic with silicon bronze settings. I will need a teflon liner and some knurled drive wheels with U grooves though. It's exy to setup initially but once I have all the gear it will be 5 mins to swap over from steel to bronze. Welder should be here today.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Rather have decent sized inspection cover like efihardware sell to weld into top of tank....then later on will be easy to clean or modify also just to change hose hose to swirl pot later on if need be.

*changed to correct name

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Rather have decent sized inspection cover like Injection Perfection sell to weld into top of tank....then later on will be easy to clean or modify also just to change hose hose to swirl pot later on if need be.
Yea makes sense thanks for that.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Rather have decent sized inspection cover like Injection Perfection sell to weld into top of tank....then later on will be easy to clean or modify also just to change hose hose to swirl pot later on if need be.
Got a link ?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Got a link ?
Remember If you work on one you need to mig braze. I tried 0.6mm wire and it's too much for repair work where water tight welds are needed. You can do body work with .6mm and a good mig but getting a water tight bead of weld is just not going to happen. Tig, even though I don't tig weld I know it works with no gaps. When you send a 1mm cutting disc through the tank you make a 1.5mm gap tig will be a battle filling that up. Which leaves silicon bronze mig brazing but my new welder needs a $48 drivre wheel a $150 bottle of pure argon and a teflon liner at a minimum, I'm buying a second gun for $200.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Remember If you work on one you need to mig braze. I tried 0.6mm wire and it's too much for repair work where water tight welds are needed.
I would have cut and welded hundreds of tanks using a 3-phase 400amp mig welder,with 0.6mm wire and CO2 or Argoshield. Mostly EB Falcons, some VN, VP and EA Falcons. I even remember doing a Mazda Bongo van tank.

If you search, there is a thread with pics where I cut open a VR wagon fuel tank to replace the return line and welded it back up. I have this VR ecotec wagon in my backyard right now and can say it has not leaked for 10 years.