Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel tank

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
Hey guys i have a few things i need to know about fuel tanks on these cars.

I have a VN V6 i had a leaking tank in which i have taken off and began to replace with a 80 drop tank i brought last weekend.

i have taken of the old shitty paint with paint stripper is now very shinny but will it rust if i don't paint it again?

Also i don't have straps can the 63L tank ones be modified to fit by welding or will the break?

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
You could polish it up but its gets dirty quick and i think they rust after awhile and you need to repolish it, maybe put a clear coat over it, personally i would just paint it silver and black straps, as for your other Q i wouldnt be cutting and welding straps.. just get some off ebay or a wreckers or something. it would be your best bet, good luck.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Just scratch it back with a scourer, and make it nice and clean :) No need to polish it:

MortonVQ_56.jpg

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
It looks like that now morton but i think it needs protection m8
I don't the straps flat black but i may have to find a wrecker with the straps or get it from a car. I will need to find a wrecker as my local one doesn't have any V8's.

hat do u think my chances r of finding a wrecker with them?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
no worries cutting and welding straps or even just go buy some flat steel and bend up new ones

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
Yeah i got it sorted and next time i have it on a hoist i will spray clear coat to give it some protection.

Thanks for the help job done and it's installed now and it looks crazy