Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Full Metal Jacket Paint Protection

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
What exactly are we looking at in the pics?
So a guy washed and polished your NEW car? Wow, it looks, umm, new.
Geez, must have looked really bad, being out in the weather for all of 2 weeks, lol.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
^^^ It's a little more involved than that. Have a look at any new car in direct light after all the trade glaze has washed off and you'll see the state that dealerships are prepared to deliver new vehicles in now. I have had a number to deal with of late that have needed some serious work to get them to the standard they should be in.

Calais looks really good.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Paint protection has always been the biggest load of marketing wank IMHO. The only thing that protects paint is a garage or a shotgun.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Yeah I know what you mean about delivery state of vehicles. Look I just went to CCP website, spoke to the guys there. When I picked up my vehicle, 20000ks on the clock, the roof felt like it had sand embeded into it. Anyway a 25 dollar claybar kit, some Duragloss glaze/sealer and regular applications of Optimum spray wax, she looks a million bucks. Swirls and scratches and etchings are a differant story, but what i was able to do with a 60 dollar outlay, the Holden dealer i bought from wanted to charge me 1500dollars for the same thing, they told me they clay bar it that is why it is expensive, ooooohhhhh clay barring, ooooohhhhhhh. yeah I know it took me 7 hrs and a six pack, from whoa to go, not just claybarring, but pre-wash with an APC, then claybarring, another wash, then glaze/sealer application and hand buff off, then a coat of wax, well fark me. I might go into the car detailing business, my Phantom paint work looks so wet, it is like a pool of oil, black, glossy and deep. OOoh yeah baby. I am sure the dealer 1500 dollar job would not have someone take 7 hrs, nor would they be as detailed as I am on my own car, you know what I mean. Hell I ended up buying a gernie, foam lance snow foam and some aerospace 303 all that **** cost 400dollars, still less than that 1500 dollar quote. Yes I am very pleased with my efforts and would encourage others to do so as well. Like I said, scratches/swirls/etchings, best left to the pro's with their machines and paint thickness gauges etc.