Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fully custom air intake system

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
hello,
ive had alot of thinking time lately, and ive thouhgt up an obvious air intake system, but ive never seen it done. i am going to build a custom sheetmetal box, for which either one or two panel filters will sit on, this will be located above the intake manifold, with it's feet onto either the fuel rail bolts or, the rocker cover bolts. from this , out the side wil be a sinlge 3 inch pipe which will curve around a full 180degrees and run into the throttle body.
Then i will use the lowest sitting hornet scoop and make it sit a tad lower to the bonnet, cut bonet and wella, a ram air system,
i cant see any legal implications with this system, and probally the best thing is it takes the pipe away from the extractors so less heat. So what do you guys reckon cause i'm pretty keen on this set up, and i'm leaving the place i work at soon so it needs to be finished before then (i'm going from a machine shop to maintance position(no car workings)) .
Cheers
Chris

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Legal implication: Any forward facing bonnet scoop is illegal. If it has an opening it must face backwards, as in towards the windscreen...

Other than that, sounds like a fair bit of work. Wouldnt it be easier to just get a VS S/C induction for $53 and then shove a POD filter in a custom box where the normal air intake is? Dont think you'd notice any real difference in power gains either between the two

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
CSL said:
thats funny cause exactly what you said i have already done custom box and all, i'll get some photo's tommorow. but i love the look of a scoop. and if it's effective, then why not

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/VSI 8.pdf
section 14

Ah interesting... So you can have them in Vic under those conditions. Its different in SA.

Post those pics when ya can man, i've been thinking about doin what I said before myself, so i'd be interested to see how you did it... Also, were you happy with the gains?

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
mate ive done everything (exhaust, extractors, 65mm tb, pod, cai, cutom box/surround) over a lenghthy period of time so it doesnt feel like it's got much kick in it until i drive somthing else, or another vn, jump back in mine then i notice a difference, but this setup would look pretty nice inside engine bay aswell, i'm pretty keen actually

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
so kinda like a twin panel filter???

sounds good 2x more surface area than a stock box, cant hurt the air flow, but if you do this idea why not 2xTB's doubble the air into the inlet manifold using 1x filter per tb!!!!!!!!!!!!

ive build a custom heat shield for my pod

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
i know exactly what you mean with the twins, like two pipes coming off eeach side of the filter box and a y peice instead of elbow, but i think i'll just do the one and leave enough room on the other side of the box to do another in the future. i'll try and source a single panel filter thats just as big like from another car, and i'll custom make it to fit that, save a bit of cash. i've been thinking more and more and this could double as a dry ice box when needed. i'll get started soon, bonnet scoop is already obtained and same with paint, i have to grab some sheetmetal and some 3" pipe bits as for he rest i ahve and can obtain, it shouldnt be too hard

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
this is sorta what i was going to do. I was going to make a custom plenum with twin throttle bodys that sat on top of the plenum. Then chuck a pd on each. The problem i came accross was the motor is to close to the bonnet to even get the throttle bodies in there. If i had the time and the money at the moment ide probly do it.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
1991_Vn2nV said:
Legal implication: Any forward facing bonnet scoop is illegal. If it has an opening it must face backwards, as in towards the windscreen...

Hmmm, its the other way round in WA. Not allowd to have an opening towards the windscreen.