Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fusion 6.5" or stock?

benny105

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
I just installed a fusion 6.5" speaker and a tweeter in my VT,
i have only done one side so i can compare the two. The new 6.5" sounds a lot crapper than my stock paper cones. They are only running off the head deck would an anp make them sound better?

thanks.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
An amp would hardly make a difference.Just because your stock speakers aren't the best, dosen't mean cheap ones, like your Fusions, are going to be any better.What model are they from Fusion?

What did you do about the factory tweeter when connecting your new speaker?

It's really much of a comparison comparing a cheap factory speaker, to a cheap aftermarket speaker.

Last edited:

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1
speakers are made to run in pairs, and the headunit will need adjusting to match the new speakers. My odl speakers ran up to 25 before they started to crackle n pop, but my news ones can take up to 30 depending on the song, however they are alot crisper, and the bass is deeper.

benny105

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
The speakers are reactor 6.5"
thanks

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Depends what you mean 'better', speakers will go louder with an amp, assuming speakers are rated to power of amp, but the quality will still be the same. Assuming here that you don't exceed the power output of the h/u.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
i think ur wrong there, my 6.5 splits run way better off an amp, worth doing so.

The reply was with regards to his choice of splits, not speakers in general.Sending them an amplfied signal from the same source, will not improve the quality itself.I guess i could have elaborated a bit more.

With any audio upgrade, you want to ensure you are getting the most out if it.
Without an upgraded source, amp, deadning, correct installation ect, then you can't expect any speaker to perform at it's best.It would be like getting a new cam, but without a tune to suit.This is why his aftermarket speakers, don't sound as good as he was most likely expecting them too.

This is why i'm always trying to get the point accross to people that as far as value for your dollar is concerned, a speaker upgrade shouldn't nessacarily be the first on your list.There are gains to be made elsewhere whilst still retaining some of the factory components.

I'm not saying there is no point in upgrading your stock speakers, only that for the money most people typically spend, it could have better spent elswhere.A $150-200 aftermarket head unit, with stock speakers, would outperform a stock head unit, running $150-200 speakers.

Last edited:

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
The speakers are reactor 6.5"
thanks

Hey Benny :)

Don't underestimate those reactors. Amp and tune them and you will get good sound out of them!

I won a SQ comp with a set of those! Not to mention also, that the judge from Option Audio was also blown away!

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I Have a pair of 6.5 fusion splits with crossovers. They sounded awesome when I tested them at the store running an amp. I put them into a nissan trx running a MB quart amp. And my god they are good. Clean and crisp with a lot of bass and a decent amount of volume. I then installed them into my vx with the same aftermarket head unit, unamped, and had the same problem as you.

The stock speakers have more bass and are louder unamped, but they aren't as crisp as the fusions. I am going to put the amp in and hopefully I get the volume and bass back.

marcdon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Evec 05
just bought a set of Powerplant splits. Reactors were my first choice. Fusion mid-range gear is good but the powerplants were on special. you wont get the full potential out of any speaker unless you amp it and put some dynamat in....even the small speaker sheets will make a massive difference