Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fusion package ?

Liberator

Reaction score
Members Ride
billy cart
just wondering if anyone ordered the VF with the fusion paint protection ? if so could you post some photos only asking because i orderd black and soon after saw another vf in at a different holden dealer and the paint seemed to have a werid ripple effect on it , now whether the car was there to get fixed or not i just wanted to see some pics preferably in black ?

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
The weird ripple effect, orange peel in the paint?. The paint protection won't do this as its thickness is less then what the naked eye would see. Ditch the Holden protection and look into the opti-coat range, far superior product at a fraction of the price

Liberator

Reaction score
Members Ride
billy cart
got it for huge discount with tinting thrown in free to but yea im considering it , nah i no what orange peel is this was really rippley i dont know how else to explain it ?

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
It won't be the paint protection causing it. The top quality ceramic coatings are at best 2 microns thick for a single layer. A polymer based product that most dealers use are around 0.02 microns thick. So again it won't be the paint protection.

Just to put it into perspective I do opti coat on paint and rims and external plastics, opti glass to outside of all windows, opti fabric to carpet and mats and suede (seats if cloth), opti gaurd leather to seats and vinyl trims. The car also gets detailed before starting and a machine polish to remove dealer fitted swirls and all comes with warranty. I charge $1600 for all that and you can get a car tinted for $300. So what is Holden charging and what do you get for that?

Liberator

Reaction score
Members Ride
billy cart
pretty much that same struck a deal with the dealer plus knowing them personally helped i think =) i think i would be paying 1700-1800 free darkest tint and the treatment for leather and inside and the protection outside 500,000kms or 25 years paint gareenteed

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I'm with Toey, Opti coat has had may great reviews. The Fusion package is a huge waste of money. I'd rather have a professional apply exterior and interior protection than Holden employees. I'm pretty sure they don't even polish it before they put it on. Also, for the warranty to work with the Fusion package you have to follow what it says in the booklet about maintaining it otherwise it's not covered.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
lol at the fusion range. It's a re-branded, 6 month product at best. Not that it's a bad product in it's own branding - but it's never marketed as having extended durability until the dealerships get their hands on it (in whatever re-branded guise you like).

I'm pretty confident in agreeing with toey about the rippling being peel - the peel in the VF range is significant. They're not well painted. I haven't taken any paint thickness readings from a VF yet, but I'd HOPE it's on the thicker side so that the peel can at least be reduced to some degree. I noticed a few vehicles in a show room that I was at recently that were caked with dust nibs as well.. not promising.

Another thing to consider is to suss out exactly what will void the warranty of your chosen paint protection. I've read a number of warranty info recently that basically say that anything you might actually need paint protection to protect against, will void the warranty. For the record, this is not the case for Opticoat or Ceramic Pro - both of which have their warranty info available online. Whatever you choose to go with, do your research and make an educated decision. But you can take it as read that ANY dealership option will be overpriced for what it is, no matter how effective it may be. I've come across one sydney dealership charging $6,000 for a barely 2year product. That's insane.

Liberator

Reaction score
Members Ride
billy cart
yea just wanted a bit of advice on that ripple effect hey i do appreciate the input and info guys cheers

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
yea just wanted a bit of advice on that ripple effect hey i do appreciate the input and info guys cheers

Well, assuming there's enough clear, you can wet sand to reduce/remove the peel and follow with compounding/polishing. Certainly no quick fix though - and not cheap either. If you go down that route though, I would absolutely recommend spending the extra for a few layers of ceramic paint protection in an effort to return some of the coating thickness. You're looking at removing up to 10-15 microns - sometimes more - with the wet sanding process to knock down all the high points.

This will give an idea - apologies for the low quality iphone pics but you'll get what I mean

Peel after the respray - is this the rippley effect you were talking about?

DSCF4565_zpsf96143dc.jpg

this is after 1500, 2000, 2500 grit by hand and 4000 grit machine sanding - no polishing yet to remove haze after a respray that left a tonne of peel. Even with the sanding haze still remaining, reducing the peel leaves more clarity than most factory paintwork.

1001210_567233256670176_1393375656_n.jpg

after polishing - no wax or coating, just paint. Keep in mind, this job was only ever intended as a peel reduction to even out the level of peel across the car. There's more to be had...

IMG_0940_zps48d2aaf8.jpg

Worth doing? yes
Worth doing for a daily? probably not.