Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Future Classic?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you look at what some "traditional" older Holdens are worth these days, it makes you wonder if any later model Commodores will ever appreciate to similar levels. Ordinary EH and HR Premiers, which were as cheap as a few hundred bucks twenty years ago, are worth ridiculous amounts today.

It's quite easy to pick up run-down but serviceable VT to VZ models other than SS's, for well under a grand and some Calais models, with the V8, are not much dearer. I've been thinking about getting a V8 Calais, sticking it away in the garage and gradually restoring it with no intention of ever putting it back on the road, but keeping it in registrable condition. It would be a very long-term proposition, my intention being that it be handed on to the grandkids as an inheritance. This means up to thirty year or more retention, completely kept out of the weather, run regularly to prevent deterioration and changing fluids such as coolant and brake fluids at regular intervals based on time. I know some components such as seals will still deteriorate but the idea would be to obtain a stock of them while they are still available and affordable.

Has anybody else had a similar idea?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
The V2 Monaro's would probably appreciate quicker / more chance of appreciation compared to a vt exec.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Generally speaking, the higher you go up the desirability totum pole today, the more it's likely to be worth in years to come.

IMO, if you like a particular car, go buy a nice one and enjoy it for what it is. If you are wanting it for an investment then go put your money + whatever you would have spent on it each year in some equities for a far more likely (and higher) gain.

Short of something you manage to get your hands on now for a quick flip and profit, there are a lot of lower risk investments with a higher potential upsides than cars.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm not looking at monetary gain though, well, not for myself at least. I won't be around in thirty years (I hope). I'm looking at saving what could become a classic, buying now at the bottom end of the market, which fits my limited finances, and gradually bringing it up to the best standard I can while parts are still cheap and plentiful. Any financial gain is insignificant to me as I don't intend to be the beneficiary. I'd just like to get in while I can and take as long as it takes, keeping myself busy and enjoying the experience.

I've done this before with a derelict HT GT'S shell I was given. Over four years I restored it, fitted it with a 350 and Turbo 350 and drove it for a few months before selling it. This time round, it would remain warm and dry and not hit the road. And I'd hang on to it a damned sight longer.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm thinking of keeping my ute for as long as I can. I have plenty of space so that won't be an issue. I only drive it twice a week and only do about 10k a year as I mostly use the bus. I have thought about getting a donor but at the present parts are plentiful and cheap. I'm fixing mine up and probably won't sell it just keep it. I think most Aussie made Holden's will appreciate in value over time. Be a long time obviously before Commodores are worth anything. But to me it kinda makes sense to spend a couple of 1000 on an older Commodore that now can be bought for $2k. If your total investment is say $5k over 10-15 years, that's a better investment than a $30k late model Commodore that will be worth $2K in 15 years.
To me the idea of having all the latest gadgets a modern car has is not a big need. I'm happy if I have cruise and aircon. So to have a Calais or Stato perfect plenty enough options to keep someone happy, but that's just my opinion.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
If you want to do nothing but leave your grand children some $$ look at landrover discovery they are a loved vehicle anyone that owners must work on often they are worth sfa right now and collect a heap of parts . Lots of landrover lovers around

Last edited:

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
I think that what we love today will not be relevant to others tomorrow. Most of us grew up around what we call classic cars like Monaros, Torana, Chargers, GTs etc etc and we had appreciation and desire for them which made them collectable to us. Think now about 10 to 15 years time the kids that are growing up now, what will Holden, Ford even Valiant or Chrysler mean to them? Holden will be just another import as will Ford so will they be looked at any different to a Mazda or Toyota? I don't think the kids growing up today will care about todays Commodores, HSVs or even the last Monaros so will there be any value in them to anyone but us? With the direction cars are heading what we call fast today will not be tomorrow so having a 400 plus kilowatt car may actually be somewhat slow and again make todays cars not much of an attraction. I wish I had bought a heap of coupes when I started earning some cash cause they were dirt cheap back in the day but pulling good coin now. Who knows what will happen in the future but I've seen many occasions where people have bought things that were collectable in the time to only see them become not so collectable later on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I agree it is a gamble buying a Holden that is 15-20 years old with the hope it appreciates. But with parts so cheap and in plentiful supply a small outlay now could be worth something in years to come. When EH's could be bought for $500 when I was 16, very few would have thought they could be worth anything now. IMO there is only one way to find out and a $5k outlay over a few years is chicken-feed really in the scheme of things. I mean most smokers would spend $14k or more a year on polluting their lungs for no gain what so ever. I think it's worth the gamble.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you want to do nothing but leave your grand children some $$ look at landrover discovery they are a loved vehicle anyone that owners must work on often they are worth sfa right now and collect a heap of parts . Lots of landrover lovers around

Perhaps so but I'm definitely not one of them. I've had a love affair with Holdens for nearly 50 years and would like to grab a latish model while they are cheap as retiree's funds have many competing demands. A classic pre-Commie is too difficult to locate and even a pile of rust commands stupid prices. A VT to VZ V8 Calais is a well equipped and relatively rare car that can now be purchased pretty cheaply, particularly if unregistered. That's my target group but I appreciate your suggestion.

So far as how kids of today might regard these things decades from now it's true that we can't predict what will float their boat but many collectors of today lust after items such as cars which were extinct years before they were born. The Holden brand in thirty years will almost certainly be a distant memory. A car that was representative of what we considered a local luxury model in the early 2000's will attract interest in 2050. Whether it's worth anything really won't worry me.

Last edited: