Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Future Classic?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Honestly, who knows what the future holds for any particular car....No one knows whether they will be desirable, or not...

All I can suggest is, if you want to buy one and keep it for the grand kids, go for it.....If they have any decency in them, they will appreciate something you have done for them after your passing. And you can't put a price tag on that sort of thing

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I'm not looking at monetary gain though, well, not for myself at least. I won't be around in thirty years (I hope). I'm looking at saving what could become a classic, buying now at the bottom end of the market, which fits my limited finances, and gradually bringing it up to the best standard I can while parts are still cheap and plentiful. Any financial gain is insignificant to me as I don't intend to be the beneficiary. I'd just like to get in while I can and take as long as it takes, keeping myself busy and enjoying the experience.

I've done this before with a derelict HT GT'S shell I was given. Over four years I restored it, fitted it with a 350 and Turbo 350 and drove it for a few months before selling it. This time round, it would remain warm and dry and not hit the road. And I'd hang on to it a damned sight longer.

Have to agree that the VT-X would be nearing the bottom of the market at that threashold before parts become too hard and there are still enough around that aren't too far gone. Of the Holden badge, it'd be a toss of the coin for Calais or SS although a Calais International VX would be a good thing to have moving forward. I wouldn't waste my time on anything short of the LS1.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Any with limited build numbers will be more desirable imo.

Trying to think of anything VT (non HSV) with limited builds aside from the Olympic Edition which (from memory) was an Exec with Berlina wheels and an Olympic badge. I somewhat doubt they will ever be desirable.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
EH and HR are over 50 years old now - and they aren't worth that much topping out around 30-40k.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Trying to think of anything VT (non HSV) with limited builds aside from the Olympic Edition which (from memory) was an Exec with Berlina wheels and an Olympic badge. I somewhat doubt they will ever be desirable.
Yeah I’m pretty much only referring to HSV’s. The ss’ are probably just about the only exception to that.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
A rationale about me getting and keeping the Commodore in my pic (VTII Commodore Olympic ex-fleet) is that its going to be the most affordable, cost effective way for me to get back into an older Holden, after regrettably selling the VB for about 1/2-1/3 of what I'd get now. These days Nice VB-VLs are 10k+, SLEs are 20K and that's about where nice Kingswoods and Toranas start.

I'm not looking to make money; to me that's irrelevant because - its only relevant if I wanted out of a hobby car for good. Else I'd have to pay an inflated price for something else that's gone up in value. Also the flippers, the speculators.....drive up prices for ordinary working people who really can't afford to pay solid 5 figure amounts for what is ultimately a superfluous toy.

To me its the story of an older car; its background/history/provenance; that makes it most interesting. If it goes up in value, that'd be nice - but I'm not slitting my wrists if it doesn't. My VTII has more or less a fully documented history, and I've been able to find out a fair bit regarding SOCOG Olympic vehicles and how they were used. To many/most that's not as interesting as a stroked and blown LS1, but to me its utterly fascinating.

But....with nice VN/VPs sitting at 5-7k for a base model example (when they were 3-4k a couple of years ago), and a delivery mileage VTII Olympic recently making 25k at Auction, AUS14Es time will come. Already nice, original low mileage VT SS have broken 10K.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
EH and HR are over 50 years old now - and they aren't worth that much topping out around 30-40k.
The whole idea isn't purely monetary. It's preserving something that (A) I like, (B) is affordable now but won't be in a few years and (C) isn't a very common model even now and will only become rarer. SS's are common, V8 Calais are not. As I've said previously, I'm not looking at financial gain for myself and not even for the grandkids. It's the same as C3P0. Preserving something that I personally think is worth preserving.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Arguably, 30-40k is still a lot of money for a 60s classic of that performance category...

For the same money you can get a good Mustang. Or many other American cars. Or, some interesting European cars....

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I’m pretty much only referring to HSV’s. The ss’ are probably just about the only exception to that.

If you are talking HSV then the C4B Calloway VX is the go. Ranks of one of the most desirable HSV's of them all. How they managed to get it thru emissions with factory Mafless tune is beyond me but either way it's head and shoulders above any other VT/VX model. Comes with the appropriate price tag as well mind you.

For a budget car, the VX International Calais is the go. I loved the blue when they were released but couldn't get one at the time. They have aged very well too and aren't out of reach price wise yet either.