Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Future Classic?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Try finding a super clean fully optioned(leahter/climate control etc) vy ss m6 or more desirable vz 6.0 m6 ss ute...either trashed or smashed.

Regret letting my old ss ute go now with long list of sl/r's that got sold.

vz r8 m6 maloo will also be a wanted car if you can find a clean one.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Some suggestions are good but overlook two of the original parameters. Affordable and Calais. I'm not interested in SS's because they are expensive and common. Even trashed ones are outside my initial budget because of the demand for them. A V8 Calais has the rarity I'm after with the advantage of being well equipped, and can still be found at acceptable prices.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
HSV would be a better keeper. Only issue is some of them are based on lower models - eg my VXII is Berlina based. They are now cheap as too.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
You seem decided on what you want ….. a V8 Calais. This may fit the bill.
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Calais-1999/SSE-AD-5630739/?Cr=3
My reasoning, it’s the last of the Aussie V8 engines, which may be a collectable factor. Bulletproof, apart from the rear main seal. And you can upgrade the seating to leather from a later model.

But I have to question your idea of putting it away for years, for grandkid’s inheritance. Enjoy it yourself until you can’t, then put it away.
A car such as this in 30 years time may be an oddity, a museum piece, with future driver’s unable to use it because it has to be ‘driven’ without the aid of AEB, lane keeping, adaptive cruise control, and all the other electronic crap which seems to mandatory to keep people safe from themselves. Kids from my childhood rode horses and push bikes. Too dangerous now.

I got an email from Holden telling me how much ‘fun’ driving the new Acadia will be with all the electronic driver aids. My definition of ‘fun’ is a long way from that. ( must take the dust cover off the Monaro, and drive somewhere. )

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
kids will only care if the car has memories for them, not if it's been sitting in the shed rotting.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Thanks for the pics figjam. It's a bit premature for me at present because of some major home reno's soon to start. Probably later next year before I get serious about this idea. More thought to be given to this plan yet.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A car such as this in 30 years time may be an oddity, a museum piece, with future driver’s unable to use it because it has to be ‘driven’ without the aid of AEB, lane keeping, adaptive cruise control, and all the other electronic crap which seems to mandatory to keep people safe from themselves. Kids from my childhood rode horses and push bikes. Too dangerous now.

So a good idea would be, for one to be bought, Calaber to teach the grandkids how to actually drive a car, without all the gizmos, so they can become better drivers....

As I see it and call me old fashioned, but all these gizmos make driver too reliant on them to keep them out of harms way, rather than learning how to get out of harms way

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
6.0ltr vz calais for small build numbers & fun factor then maybe International for interesting trim combination.

Cheapest at moment would be 5.0ltr car or first 5.7ltr calais with velour & high mileage.

That being said anything with HSV heritage or most desirable option at time when new usually good indicator later on.

Buy something you want to keep as buying something just to think you will make money on is silly if into cars.

Henry the octopus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 ss
I saw a bog stock base model TC Cortina on the M7 the other day. I'm glad someone kept something ordinary because i see less of those than the rarer ones of the day. Keep whatever you want they're.all.a bit special