Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Future value of our LS3 Powered VF Series 11

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I was watching a doco on SBS a couple of weeks ago and it said the reality of self driven vehicles is still 20 or more years away.

The list of reason is long but so far the AI that is required for the cars to make moral decisions does not exist and that is the sticking point for all manufacturers including Tesla.

Do I kill the passengers or do I kill the pedestrians type of thing.
Never heard of anyone who ran over a 90 year old on a footpath getting off a charge because he claimed he was trying to avoid the school kids crossing the road. It’s just AI academics talking about cars making moral decisions. Self drive cars (companies) will be treated in a similar way to how meat bag driver are treated today in that they have to follow road rules... I don’t buy into that moral decision rubbish.

As is, Tesla has an NVIDIA AI upgrade (for their vision based system) which is some 2000 times more powerful than what they previously used. And I’ve read they are planning their own AI hardware down the track... So it’s happening much sooner than people think. And as much as Musk can be a dick, he has landed a returning first stage rocket vertically of a floating barge, something that all the experts said couldn’t be done... Never write off the pedo guy ;)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Never heard of anyone who ran over a 90 year old on a footpath getting off a charge because he claimed he was trying to avoid the school kids crossing the road. It’s just AI academics talking about cars making moral decisions. Self drive cars (companies) will be treated in a similar way to how meat bag driver are treated today in that they have to follow road rules... I don’t buy into that moral decision rubbish.

As is, Tesla has an NVIDIA AI upgrade (for their vision based system) which is some 2000 times more powerful than what they previously used. And I’ve read they are planning their own AI hardware down the track... So it’s happening much sooner than people think. And as much as Musk can be a dick, he has landed a returning first stage rocket vertically of a floating barge, something that all the experts said couldn’t be done... Never write off the pedo guy ;)

Without the insurance companies and the moral crusaders that mould political thinking on board, the manufacturers can't do jack without Government approval.

A.I. is a very important part of self driving vehicles and that's the reason legislation will be stalled until the manufacturer's can prove the vehicles can think like a human. So far they can be given commands to obey road rules but they can't think for themselves.

When something goes wrong, who do you blame. That's a very basic part of the human psyche and people and lawyers and insurance companies will be looking for someone to pay for errors no different to the current situation when a driver gets it wrong.

Everyone's talking up the technology but at this stage it's just a fancy driver assist system and not autonomous.

It will eventually happen but not as quickly as the companies pushing for huge injections of funds would like to have us believe.

I think the example was used, 'would you buy a car that you know had been taught to sacrifice the occupants to save a pedestrian.'

The answer as the manufacturer's understand it at this stage is, there is no market for such a vehicle.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
I built a 192 cu steel cranked Holden red motor (Blue printed & balanced by Gown & Hindaugh - the same people who built Brock's Torry reds back in the day) & dropped it into my '67 X2 HR.
It used to leave Bridgestone Steel Belted Radial rubber over the windcreens of 245 Pacers aka "The fastest 6 cylinder production cars ever built".
Goodies included: Yella Terra Stage 4 head with triple Chev valve springs, Holley 500 suitably jetted, Speco Bathurst spec cam (lift/duration escapes me right now), solid lifters, re-sized Chev pushrods, Yella Terra roller rockers, posi-locks, alloy timing gear (for that blower "whirrrrr" sound), 1c piece oil pump bypass block-off, WB breakerless distributor - it goes on.
Thing was still making reliable ponies at 9000 RPM.
Mid 15s at Calder with a Speco in-line slam shift 3 speed.
I used to take two spare diffs and a spare gearbox to drive it home afterwards.

I think the build cost me around $2 grand.
I sold it for $600 to help buy my 308 4 speed HQ Premier wagon.
If only I'd kept them both...
Alas - I met a woman and got car-strated for a mortgage.

gown hindhaugh now there's a aussie hoon shop from the past, i had a lot of engines machined there and built by norm with his coke bottle glasses, i still have a lc torana with a 186s bored to 190 by G & H and used to watch them working on there a9x group c hatchbacks in the late 70s
the 1975 bathurst trophy under the counter and award on the wall for fastest car i think 1977 torana a9x clocked at bathurst conrod straight around 167 mph from my old memory
norm used to machine all the engines for harry firth HDT
it's a shame all these old guys stories are gone and not recorded in books for history ect as there all long gone
after winning bathurst in 75 with brock all norm got out of it was a colour tv after he paid all the expenses with the prize money , they were a real shoestring team
i can always remember norm welding counter weights on to 186-179hp steel cranks to make full counter weight cranks before the blue black 202 full counter weight crank motors were made

now back to topic the last ssv redlines my17 cars especially a rarer colour spitfire , or light my fire will only go up in value
limited editions motorsports ect
our local holden dealer that now is only selling used cars told me my17 ssv redlines get very good prices, holding value and that he's has sold a lot before the cars have even been inspected while on transport from interstate
he can't get enough stock of the my17 ssv redline cars as they sell quickly
the last aussie made v8 cars will always hold and slowly go up in value,
i,m just so lucky being able to afford two my17 redlines , a ute and sedan, best and last aussie made car

Syfrha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Well if Musk is correct, we’ll be in full self driving vehicles within a year :rolleyes:

If that’s true, the majority of buyers will quickly tire of driving themselves in heavy city traffic. They’ll aspire to own a Tesla. What that means is that the market for old style petrol cars that can’t drive themselves will shrink. With that, any old style commodity where the pool of buyers is shrinking puts downward pressure on prices :(

Worse still, if such fully automated self drive vehicles actually achieve better road toll outcomes as expected, the government will consider ways to remove manually driven vehicles from our roads, either through banning them or pricing them off the road :eek:

If all this actually happens, the payday that some were hoping for with their LS3 powered commodores will never eventuate. Some may have the cash to buy such a car to put in their multi car garage for visual enjoyment but mass of potential buyers won’t exist. And even Holdens best of the last limited editions (bar the magnum or director) aren’t really limited in numbers so the won’t have the expected appeal to command large prices...

Best option is enjoy your car and don’t worry about what it may be worth in future.... With increasing cancer rates, covid19 and 5G, you may be dead before enough time has passed for your car to be worth anything, if it can ever achieve a price increase. o_O

I want one to enjoy! Haha I'm not concerned about its future value, I'd love to be able to keep it till I'm old I guess my question really is, are the prices of the 2017 Redlines and Calais-Vs currently worth buying right now? Or is it better to wait till maybe petrol prices are back up and what not. But like I said over the last year the average has appeared to gone up?! I just don't understand how dealers are asking so much in a time like this as well?! Are they just manipulating the market with these cars? It seems like buying a MSE for just about the same money!! And not to mention a few limited number HSVs.. so is it just me or are people really paying that much for them?

Syfrha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
now back to topic the last ssv redlines my17 cars especially a rarer colour spitfire , or light my fire will only go up in value
limited editions motorsports ect
our local holden dealer that now is only selling used cars told me my17 ssv redlines get very good prices, holding value and that he's has sold a lot before the cars have even been inspected while on transport from interstate
he can't get enough stock of the my17 ssv redline cars as they sell quickly
the last aussie made v8 cars will always hold and slowly go up in value,
i,m just so lucky being able to afford two my17 redlines , a ute and sedan, best and last aussie made car
[/QUOTE]
Yeah I'm 100% looking at MY17, I have a son of a gun grey 2017 SV6 but really want to step up into the V8 territory.. I'd love to reignite my dad's love of V8s as he has a HR he converted in the shed but sadly he always says he doesn't have the time for it

Rapom1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oct 2017 sv6 wagon white
I can guarantee all readers that there will come a day when these cars will be worth millions and millions of dollars, in fact there will come a day when they are worth billions of dollars each. But that's only because our future includes a bout of hyperinflation. When measured in real money though (gold), they are likely to depreciate drastically.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I can guarantee all readers that there will come a day when these cars will be worth millions and millions of dollars, in fact there will come a day when they are worth billions of dollars each. But that's only because our future includes a bout of hyperinflation. When measured in real money though (gold), they are likely to depreciate drastically.
Hep, the car could be worth $2,000,000 while a loaf of bread would set you back $10,000 :eek:

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Hi all, I'm curious what people think now 4 years later and after the fact of Holdens complete demise in Australia recently this year.
How do we see the VF2 V8s holding up in value now and future specifically 2017s.
I've been watching carsales and keeping track roughly of prices the past 12 months, seems that they are holding value if not going up a few grand.

Also if prices do continue to increase, will there be a point at which converting a VF2 SV6 into a LS3 becomes affordable compared to "just sell the 6 and buy a 8"
The other week I drove to Whangarei (in NZ) and had a look around the regional Holden Audi Hyundai Nissan Skoda VW dealership's used lot. Only one VFII available and that was a 2016 Calais V V6 . You could have your choice of a dozen used ZB (RS-V, VXR, Tourer Calais V) sedans and wagons.

Salesman's gist was that plenty of people are trading in ZBs but not VFs.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
pickles Adelaide this week 17 build Redline black auto good cond 40000k sold for $49000.