Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fyi

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
NT open speed limits axed
November 02, 2006 02:09pm
OPEN speed limits will be axed in an attempt to curb the Northern Territory's devastating road toll.

Demerit points, increased fines and a gradual roll-out of red light cameras will also be introduced.

"We've taken the tough decisions needed to reduce the number of people killed,'' Chief Minister Clare Martin said.

But while the NT Government said it had adopted all 21 recommendations of a road safety taskforce, released to the public two weeks ago, there was one concession.

Four main highways - the Stuart, Arnhem, Barkly and Victoria - will have limits of 130kph.

"I believe this is sensible and workable,'' Ms Martin said.

"We do have long roads to travel in the territory and we must do it safely ... (but) open ended speed limits for the Territory will end.''

The Government wanted to "create a safer territory'', Ms Martin said, as she avoided questions about a potential political fall-out.

"I can't accept a situation where one territorian dies every week on our road,'' she said.

"What we want in the Territory is a safe culture on the road and we don't have that ... and I won't make any apologises.''

Citing the Government's taskforce report, Ms Martin said the Territory had Australia's highest road toll per capita, with one person dying on territory roads every week and nine people injured.

"We have a tragic and appalling road safety record here in the Territory,'' she said.

There are currently no speed limits on open roads in the NT and no demerit points, introduced in most other states in 1969.

Opposition Leader Jodeen Carney said she did not support the changes but backed training programs for inexperienced drivers.

"Broad measures like introducing a speed limit on the Stuart Highway and demerit points for traffic offences fails to deal with the route causes of road fatalities in the Territory,'' she said.

Gerry Wood, the independent Member for Nelson, said the Government had not given the community enough time to read the taskforce report.

"The public need to have an opportunity to read and analyse what was really said in the report,'' he said.

''(It) makes a mockery of an open and transparent consultation process.''

The CLP tried to introduce a 130kph speed limit and demerit points a decade ago but were forced to drop the plan because of widespread public opposition.

Ref: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20688017-29277,00.html

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
This is another time where that dumb tramp has had no regard for the public. Everybody knows that the road toll has nothing to do with the main arterial highways but more the community & bush roads. These come about from intoxication, unroadworthy vehicles & an absolute minimum of driver skill. I should post up a wreck of the week & show the condition of some of the cars I see out & about every day.
Well done Clare. First you remove mandatory sentencing & allow the crime rates to escalate & now this.You have shown how out of touch you are again. Cant wait till the next election.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lol, its about time NT get fixed limits, per capita NT are by far the worse state for road deaths in australia.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
If the deaths were caused by the unrestricted speed I would agree with you minux. There has only been a few where speed was the cause of the accident. Lets not forget that a person lying on the road who is hit by a car also gets put into the road toll. The itinerants in the town have also been known to walk in front of cars just to get a meal & a warm bed.
Demerit points will also be pointless as the slap on the wrist that the courts give for driving offenders does not stop repeat offences. Impounding cars doesnt work, more just get stolen.
Our murder, sexual assault, rape, aggravated assault & domestic violence rate would also be one of the highest per capita. Lets see them addressed before they start removing our freedoms.