Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gardening / Landscaping

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
So Bunnings Belconnen can suck my little hairy one. Last week I went in to grab a few more lengths of EcoDeck. I knew that I bought the last of the 2.4s and thought they might have some 1.8s (cutting them to 600mm pieces so either would have done). They didn't. So I asked if they had any unopened packs down the back which they said they didn't but should be getting some more in after Christmas. I then asked if they could check the new store in Gungahlin (which opened 3 days prior). They said they didn't have any and that the item I wanted was no longer stocked. They then called the supplier who apparently said they're not making it anymore. Anyway, after 10 minutes of phone calls they came back with "the supplier has none, they're not making anymore, it's discontinued and no Bunnings store in the country has any". Needless to say I was faaarkin' pissed.

Fast forward 2 days I decided to call Gungahlin myself who told me that they had some! All I needed was 6 lengths at the moment but I'll need another 60 to finish everything. When I went in to get some I was greeted with this sight:

1DA0012D-2151-41C6-88C1-93950F14C6BB_zpsktzr4ouw.jpg

Belconnen can suck my sack.

Anyway, got a good start on the upper part of the yard today. We got all the sleeper posts cemented in and in a few days the face will go on and then level the whole lot. I'll post some more pics when there's more progress.

25C811F8-F1DB-49FF-B515-D7D22CE35261_zps6zldus5l.jpg

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Troy

Ain't the quality of customer service in this country just bloody wonderful?

We just returned from a week in Hawaii. I didn't mind paying the high level of tips because the service was so good and so friendly.

Not like this place.

That Ecowood is nice but it's a bit exxy for me. After frigging around with treated pine, I wish it wasn't. Really no comparison.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
EkoDeck is cheap. $4.35 per meter and you don't need to spend money on stain or oil.

Yep, service here is bullshit. I don't know where they got the information that they gave me from but the another store in Canberra also had 60+ lengths and a full unopened pack in the yard.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm building a deck ATM, It's a first for me. Hoping it comes out well, just a small project I thought. 7.5 x 4.5 meters........

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Given the chance again would have gone with something like Ecodeck for the one I built earlier this year. I used 140mm width treated pine boardwalk, and it wasn't quite dry enough when I laid it. Now it shits me to tears when I see the gaps that opened up in the mitred corners when the wood shrunk some more, and some of the boards have curled up at the sides a little. I also used decking nails but in future I'll use screws. Live and learn I guess, it's still 100 times better than what was there before and my wife and kids are thrilled with it. Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Not quite to the landscaping scale that Troy and others are have undertaken but some indoor gardening/landscaping as part of our internal reno project that has been ongoing for the last 5 months or so.

The planter box pre-renos.

DSCN5362_zpsfe54pidi.jpg

Now lowered by five courses with planting completed yesterday.

DSCN6252_zpssgrhd1d1.jpg

DSCN6255_zps1gkrfqqo.jpg

The plan was to have it sit level with the railing in the backgound. Spirit level across the two is perfect. Love those small wins.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
EkoDeck is cheap. $4.35 per meter and you don't need to spend money on stain or oil.

Yep, service here is bullshit. I don't know where they got the information that they gave me from but the another store in Canberra also had 60+ lengths and a full unopened pack in the yard.

I checked the price at our Bunnings today. Closer to $5/lm. As I have well over 40 sq m of decking, and a square metre is approximately 11 lineal metres, I don't think I'll be ripping it up too soon to replace with Ecodeck.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Ahhh, I bet you're looking at the bigger stuff. I didn't think about that haha.

I finished off the screening under the pergola this afternoon. I just need to paint a 90x45 stud, dynabolt it to the wall and screw it all off.

D6DD8850-3DCE-4E32-88D4-90EFB7FCDFFF_zpshretoimi.jpg

I'm also thinking that when I get the garden shed moved instead of building a gazebo, putting a big shade sail up. Something similar to this:
Butterfly 4 m Square Gazebo | Coolaroo

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
[edit] Never mind, new plan... [/edit]

Last edited: