Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gardening / Landscaping

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Problem is. Unless you want a 400m2 dogbox of land. Anywhere within 90 minutes of Melbourne is $600k+ for land.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Problem is. Unless you want a 400m2 dogbox of land. Anywhere within 90 minutes of Melbourne is $600k+ for land.....
Far out, I knew Vic was exi. No hope of buying a first home there then?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Probably have to invest outside of Melbourne and get something cheap enough to make some money on and work your way up. I had to do that when I lost everything in the separation and was left with enough to buy a $7 block of land, with a few bucks left over to submit plans and start a shed. I was only $900 a fortnight wages and couldn't even get a mortgage, had to settle for a $22k personal loan to start building the house. 6 or 7 years later I'm now married again and am building a 28 square house with a pretty decent shed and I get to keep my small house and shed, for now anyway. But I'm on a pretty decent wage now that I was promoted 2.5 years ago.
I hear home ownership is impossible but I call BS when people say they can't do it. Where there is a will there is a way. You just have to want it bad enough.....

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
If you're happy with small land its still cheap enough. If you want something that's not small (land wise at least) no hope. Problem is even out as far as Warragul its not that much cheaper and a long way further from everything. So the slightly cheaper housing (still $500k for something that doesn't need pushing over) really isn't worth it, for someone like me anyway.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Sandman, = you have your toys.!
Still at home?
Your smart!!!
Forget first home buyers shxt . = especially if invest early.
Save!
Do research buy investment property/ = eventually properties ( so much easier = because of rental income)=keep for at least 3 to 5 years= more better way better advantage

Nanon

Reaction score
Members Ride
London
If I will have to invest one day, then only in a house which has a big garden where I can grow my own vegetables and fruits. I am addicted to this, and I can't imagine a place to live where I can't grow my own bio fruits and vegetables. At my old place, I transformed the yard with tall grass growing around, in a beautiful garden, using a tool from this list growgardener.com, and everyone who came to me in a visit, could not recognize the changes that I have made, it was a totally different place.

Last edited:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Drifted a little off topic, but yeah Melbs is expensive, and will continue to expand even with COVID blip. When we were settling in, we house sat on an estate out near Carrum Downs. You can get quite a lot for your money, but they look like rows of prison accommodation, and there are very few amenities.

On the topic of landscaping, there are loads of great little nurseries to buy plants (especially native stuff) around, some are even just pleasant place to go for a walk around! Bought a bunch for our yard as was a bit dull from the previous owners.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
As first home buyers it’s not really practical to purchase land unless you’re able to pay for it outright. Many banks don’t want to lend with land only as their security which narrows your choice of lenders. There is a government scheme at the moment, but you need to purchase house/land package to be eligible.

I have been looking very recently and have been going through quite a few properties to inspect and get a good feel of the market. Realistically I think we’ll have to spend $700-750k to get what we’re after.

From 600-750k stamp duty is on concession for first home buyers, and there’s 25% off stamp duty until June 30 which is added incentive.

Will likely look to purchase in the next quarter if we’re able to find something that suits our needs and is relatively future proof.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
From 600-750k stamp duty is on concession for first home buyers, and there’s 25% off stamp duty until June 30 which is added incentive.

We bought in July and we got a rebate for our conveyancing fees from the bank too. Not much in the grand scheme of house buying values but an unexpected surprise.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Lol - It's still around if you look. I paid $415k for 2200m2 about 1hr to the south a couple of years ago (peak of the last bull run).
w800-h600-w1024-h717-2013287976_3_pi_161216_014202.jpg