Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gardening / Landscaping

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Keep an eye on Gumtree.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Yeah I'm pretty sure our trees are pitostrums. People have referred to them as "neighbours be gone". But we're keeping on top of keeping them trimmed. The advantage then is them becoming more dense where we need them too for noise deadening and privacy.

What are these edgers people are talking about? I know the manual stick with a roller - lol there's a reason Dad used to give me that job! But I like the idea of precision edging.

Outdoor TV is a good idea. We're definitely planning that for our sitting area.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
What are these edgers people are talking about? I know the manual stick with a roller - lol there's a reason Dad used to give me that job! But I like the idea of precision edging.

Mine is like these....though not as "fresh" looking lol. The guy I bought mine off (family friend) claimed it cost him around $1,200 new. I picked it up for $200.

edger.jpg

Bunnings version for $469.

2166ba1f-4ad4-4c47-9ee0-5ab16063fd56.jpg

One of my mates bought a slightly cheaper version of this from Bunnings a few years ago and it was pretty crappy in comparison to the Dwyer & Felton that I have.

You will certainly get a precision edge. Particularly with your lawn that has quite thick runners, I doubt the whipper snipper would get the same result.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Just make sure you use it correctly and dont grind away your drive way etc like i hear most idiots do at 7am on a saturday morning.

Turf looks good. Im stuck with a couch lawn and requires so much water to keep it thick and green, or it just turns to dirt over night.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Raj

The yard looks good. I liked your comment about weed tolerance with kikuyu.

IIRC, kikuyu is classed as a weed.:spot on:

The worst thing about it, apart from its very invasive nature, is the fact that it grows faster than just about any other lawn cover and will keep you very busy during the summer months, particularly after a good drop of rain.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Raj

The yard looks good. I liked your comment about weed tolerance with kikuyu.

IIRC, kikuyu is classed as a weed.:spot on:

The worst thing about it, apart from its very invasive nature, is the fact that it grows faster than just about any other lawn cover and will keep you very busy during the summer months, particularly after a good drop of rain.

LOL! I hear you! And it is by some people.

But I'd rather spend 15min after work two nights a week mowing it than trying to keep it nice. Someone also once told me, "edging Kikuyu is best done with roundup and a spray bottle".

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
yip, grab a runner and give it a pull in a few months... watch it pull straight across the entire lawn lol.. I have kikuyu and trying to get rid of it.. only problem is that the neighbours have it also .. but I think my 50/50 roundup spray I did on Monday will sort that for a while ;)

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
I would have gone with buffalo over kikuyu, way less maintenance... little bit more nurturing to get it established but once established will do exactly as you want with a hell of a lot less invasion into plantbeds. Looks good though mate!

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
You dont want a 3 wheeled edger. At least not for your house, golf course maybe. 1 wheel is the way to go. I find once you get the nack of it, a wipper snipper does the job.
I think a hedge below the trees would look great and keep the simple look. Maybe add a few big chunks of rock to complete the look.
The new grass looks great, just make sure you water it heaps for the next few weeks and dont mow it for at least 4.
I went with buffalo for less maintenance. I have better things to do other then mow my lawn weekly..

Your plantation shutters, do you know the brand? Reason i ask is apparently some chinese shutters release some toxin when the sun shines on them. Very toxic. Google it for more info...

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Good job with the lawn looks great. One thing I would recommend, if you look at putting some ground covers or small plants be wary if you spray the grass with round up nearby. I did heaps of research on this as we have a low maintenance coastal native garden at our place. The lawn however was very invasive of the garden beds.

There is a selective herbicide product called Fusilade that targets grasses and won't harm your other broadleaf plants like round up will. I've sprayed it all round the garden beds over my ground covers such as Kalbarri and coral carpet with no problems and it controls the invading grass for 6-12 months.

It's not cheap at about $90-100 for a litre but only requires around 20-40ml mix to 10 litres and is available from ag stores

Just a suggestion in case the mowing and edging gets away from you for a while and the grass runs amok.