Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gardening / Landscaping

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
ffs.. can you lads stop putting up such good results! hahaha

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
So.. Just to re-iterate, my brother and I lived in this place for about 5 years. The garden itself wasn't neglected as such, just more mowing and whipper snipping rather than care for 'garden beds'. Over the last few months Ive been here myself and ive put a little bit of time into it. The WHOLE idea is to have a nice, peaceful place to go have a beer or a coffee and a smoke, or to listen to music from the house and enjoy the outside..

20151103_112608_zpsylo4mv7h.jpg

20151103_112517_zps6oixybzi.jpg

this looks so much more squashed than it actually is :-\ :
20151103_112431_zpsgcahh7fr.jpg

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
That's an awesome job Sab! Kudos! Looks SOOOOOO much better than it was. And usable too. :D

Cheers :) Isnt quite finished yet, going to turn the portion that was the carport into an undercover area, so going to be paved and re-covered. But, that's on the backburner until my shed gets built and we go to Europe/USA.

I used a Kikuyu, just because of the hardiness. Used the backyard for our wedding 1 week after i laid the turf and expected half of it to die as you're not meant to have people walk on it, let alone 40 people seated for large amounts of time. But nearly 2 years on it's thriving.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Oil, stain, not great with the terminology. It's the one you apply to a wet deck do it absorbs into the timber. :D

Yeah Kikuyu is the go-to grass for hardest wearing. I also prefer it's shade of green over the darker buffalo.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Oil won't apply to a wet deck, coz oil and water separate.

Oil soaks into the timber but also provides more of a protective coating, again coz oil and water separate, so once the oil is dry the timber won't absorb any water which reduces fungal disease, warping etc.

Staining might give the deck colour but not the same level of protection.

We had a deck at our old place for over 14 years. 6 monthly oiling (Spring and Autumn) kept it like new. Best applied with a sheepskin applicator imho.

I would never just stain a deck.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
OK cool. Oil it is!

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
used motor oil, thinned down with a bit of diesel > everything :)

Not sure of the legality of it in Australia thou... But looks great, and brings out the grains... works better on rough timber than planed thou...

and Trennaa that is a pretty decent back yard...

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
I knocked up a front deck a few months ago, to replace and extend a crappy old one that was rotting and falling apart. It's 6.2 x 3.8m so not huge but it's made a world of difference to usable outdoor space for dining etc. It was complicated by the original house foundations being poured to allow for a porch outside the front door (which I've removed and filled in the alcove for more interior room) so I had to set in some 2x4s to nail the deck into over top of the foundation. This set the height for the rest of the deck and was a pain to get a fall away from the house for water run-off.

We've also got about 110sq.m of vege and berry gardens out the back, which I've been boxing up over time. Some of it is just rough while some of it is more permanent, with merchant-grade decking used for the sides and polythene lining to prevent rot and chemical leeching. I've fitted an irrigation system around the inside of the boxing of the largest gardens and run lines to all the gardens, and fitted a water computer to handle the whole system, so it's set and forget. It grates me every time I look out the back that I've refined my technique with each garden so they range from pathetic to mildly acceptable.

I've also fitted a valve and outlet to the two main gardens that will enable me to run irrigation hoses down into the reserve behind our property to water plants there as well.

We also have a 2.4m x 1.8m greenhouse as a nursery, plus an outdoor nursery where we grow plants to put in the reserve and for our rental properties.

I still have to rebuild the old shed so I bought a couple of zincalum kitset sheds to store everything while I pull it down. I also have to build a pergola out the back too. Always something else to do...