Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gardening / Landscaping

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
Those lawns look great I'm at the stage of levelling my sand that had paving on it before laying new lawn. I'm just wondering do I have to lay a top soil down first?

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Those lawns look great I'm at the stage of levelling my sand that had paving on it before laying new lawn. I'm just wondering do I have to lay a top soil down first?

Only if you want it to grow
Use a turf underlay

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I finished my screen today, I reckon it looks the goods. My old man and brother in law have been helping out the last 2 weeks and they kept saying that I should have continued with the pool fencing on that side but I think it would have been way too much and looked a little silly. I think my idea of a 2 sided screen looks much better and when we get the shade sail up it'll define the area. I also think the shade sail is going to make it much more of a casual setting, especially when there's a nice outdoor lounge up there which will make it an ideal place to watch the kids while they're playing on the grass.

Troy

I like what you've done and the yard has really been transformed from what you started with, but I have a question.

Why did you put the return screen on the yard side, rather than the fence side, if you wanted a bit of privacy and still be able to watch the kids on the lawn? It seems to close that area in, rather then open it out. Was that what you intended?

No complaints with the workmanship though. Very professional.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Why did you put the return screen on the yard side, rather than the fence side, if you wanted a bit of privacy and still be able to watch the kids on the lawn? It seems to close that area in, rather then open it out. Was that what you intended?

My understanding is that the shed is moving so there's a BBQ area up there with the BBQ behind the screen. Table and chairs on the slab and a shade sail. Then under the pergola more of an outdoor lounge/bar/tv area. I may be wrong.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Troy

I like what you've done and the yard has really been transformed from what you started with, but I have a question.

No complaints with the workmanship though. Very professional.

RK pretty much nailed it. The yard isn't finished yet, still got lots to do and moving the garden shed is next job on the list. Once it's gone the shade sail will go up there and the idea was to create a play area for the kids and a well defined casual seating area from which to supervise them from. There was a suggestion to continue with the pool fencing but I wanted to screen off the covered area from the house because there's a bedroom window that looks directly out where the steps are. This way if we're up there at night there's going to be a bit of screening to the bedroom if/when we put lighting in.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Ok. Got it. I figured you must have had further work planned and the lights at night would need to be sorted.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Bit of a weird one but can anyone recommend some half decent grass that you can drive over? Looking at putting a garage in the backyard but due to not using the cars much would only be driven on rarely, so not really worth doing a full driveway for. Only problem is the current grass is soggy and easy to churn up over winter and its generally dead from being too dry over summer. So looking for something relatively resilient.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I'd want something like this Grass Surfaced Parking System

It's a mesh that you lay which will support a car but will allow the grass to grow

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Only if you want it to grow
Use a turf underlay

If your in Perth and have sandy soils (like 99% of perth), I'd be doing more than just a turf underlay. I'd suggest adding clay (soil solver I found good, but there are others like sand remedy etc), and a good dose of either compost or you can get soil concentrates specifically for lawn from greenlife soil company. Anything to turn the grey shitty lifeless sand into something more of a loam that will support the lawn without the need for massive doses of fertiliser (that just mostly leaches away into the rivers anyway).
Result will be a lawn that uses way less water and is much much healthier. I did this to my rear lawn, and the difference to the front lawn which didn't receive anything special is staggering. Back lawn requires probably half the water, has no issues with weeds, pests or dry patches while the front lawn has taken me two years of work aerating, adding amendments and all manner of other works to get it to the same standard.