Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Gas Convertor, buying replacement, help needed!

dale1389

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Executive Commodore
Hey guys!

Basically in a nut shell got my VT Commodore put on Gas, convertor died, company wont honor 3 year warranty because the owner of the company is a crook!

Was looking at 2nd hand convertors, basically i've been told my convertor is a OMVL,and the one i want to buy is an OMVL R90E i was wondering if anyone knew if this one would fit in my car pretty easily without too much trouble? Like, can all OMVL's convertors be replaced pretty easily with another OMVL?

Convertor Currentley in car Put in 2 years ago, although i dont know my model number, just know its an OMVL.
GC.jpg

Convertor I'm looking at buying Looks similar to mine and is an OMVL R90E
gc2.jpg

Thanks guys!

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
yep the convertors are the same just needs to be fitted correctly , who done the conversion in the first place ?

Last edited:

dale1389

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply mate!
I'm going to buy it on ebay now, are you pretty sure a mechanic would be able to fit this convertor to my system?

Conversion was done by ProGas, who recentley lost there AAFRB licence, which doesnt suprise me the way the guy was running the business!
My invoice says 3 year 100,000km warranty, yet will not honour it.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
pro gas say no more know their work very well , you could try going to the supplier sprint gas and have them repair the convertor under warranty , if you go with buying a second hand convertor be careful as you could be buy someones else problem as with most second hand parts of this nature , is your mechanic a licensed LPG fitter and know what he is doing with LPG and able to correctly set up the tune ???

dale1389

Reaction score
Members Ride
ProGas in Bayswater?

Bendigo mate, but its run by the same bloke as far as i know..

pro gas say no more know their work very well , you could try going to the supplier sprint gas and have them repair the convertor under warranty , if you go with buying a second hand convertor be careful as you could be buy someones else problem as with most second hand parts of this nature , is your mechanic a licensed LPG fitter and know what he is doing with LPG and able to correctly set up the tune ???

rang sprint gas, they only cover the convertor for 1 year, 20,000km's , so basically the only way i'll get it fixed or replaced is through ProGas, and the chances of that are slim.

bought a convertor today for $80, the one in the picture above. will see how it goes, if it doesnt go i'm probably better of buying a new car / getting a whole new gas system with the rebate!

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
good luck dealing with PROGAS , might as well try for blood out of a stone

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
I work for an AAFRB accredited business. Usually you can either clean the carbon buildup from a convertor. If it's worse you can put a seal kit through the omvl convertors. If you have bought one already then you should have it installed by a registered business. If not then you have to use a high pressure sealing paste. You can NOT use Teflon tape. LPG is high pressure. The gas tape is designed for natural gas which is around 5 psi.