Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gas Tank And A Sub Woffer

G

Gold_VR_Berlina

Hey

I have a Gas tank in my boot and i'm thinking about buying a sub. if i buy the sub and put it in the middle of the boot will the sound be **** because of the gas tank.

thanks

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
I cant imagine it would sound great. And if you wanted good sound it would need big power and subs, which may be a safety issue. Talk to a car audio place?

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
I dont see how it could be a safety issue?

I had a sealed single 12" kenwood sub + suitable amp in my VL, with LPG .. sounded fine .. port the parcel shelf thru to the cabin, helps a bit I rekon .. I moutned my 10x7's on pods towards the middle of the (custom made MDF) parcel shelf, and put ports thru to the boot space where the factory speaker holes are in the metal .. helps get a bit of the bass thru from the boot.. but the tank doesnt rob you of much..

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Ah OK. You didnt have to get through the steel bit of the parcel shelf did you? Just the wood? A port is a good idea.

G

Gold_VR_Berlina

thanks

who do u get to make u a custom made parcel shelf.. also does it look good or tacky.. is it expensive? Could u explain the porting to me...

i bought a 10" 900Watt sony xplod sub of ebay for $91 brand new, Sony CDX-M850MP car CD MP3 for $500 and two sets of 220watt xplod 6" 3way speakers. the deck has inbuilt 208 wat amplification.. wat amp do i need for decent sound.

thanks again.

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
Nah, didnt have to cut metal at all .. which is what i was primarily wanting to avoid, due to how close the lpg tank was to the metal of the shelf .. tight fit .. I made the custom shelf myself .. pretty simple actually, and looks damn nice, if i do say so myself

Measure the width of your old shelf, go to bunnings, get a sheet of MDF to suit, cost me about $20 i think, for 12mm thick MDF. Some people recomend 18mm for better sound resenance, but it was a fair bit more expensive when i was there, so i went with the 12mm .. no complaints about it

I used my old shelf to draw out a template, then a jigsaw to cut it out .. sand back corners where needed, and then apply carpet. I used a 2m section of bunnings Black carpet, didnt cost much either .. Jaycar had a spray on carpet adhesive glue .. stuck it all down and it was done ..

Before this of course I had to cut 4 holes in it .. 2 where the speakers mount (even with pods the 10x7's had to have some cut for them to sit into, HUGE magnets on those suckers), and 2 holes for the ports .. measured to line up over the speaker holes in the metal. Slot those in after the carpet was on and cut, attach pods and speakers, then slot back into the car .. I actually had to take the ports back out, install shelf, then re-insert the ports, because of the angle the shelf had to go into the car ..

only other problem I had was the mounting bolts .. the old shelf attached via 2 small plastic clips into bolt holes in the metal shelf. I drilled these out on the new one, but coudlnt get them to line up .. I eventually used large ammounts of double sided tape and blue-tak spots to hold the shelf tight and stop vibration, as the rear seat actually secures it in place.

D

death-from-above

Got any pics mate? My VS is also on gas and thinking about something similar.

T

Tony

QUOTE (Gold_VR_Berlina @ Feb 25 2004, 03:52 AM) i bought a 10" 900Watt sony ... and two sets of 220watt xplod 6" 3way speakers. the deck has inbuilt 208 wat amplification.. wat amp do i need for decent sound.

thanks again.
nothing will make that sound decent
sell the sub for twice the price and get a JL or some other..better sub
only giving you some advice. Ignore it if you think im stupid.

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
I've had a pair of Sony 6" 3-ways .. probably previous series to the current, but theyr not bad .. you need a 6x9 if you want your rears to thump, but then, thats what the subs are for .. i like my 10x7's coz they hit hard

www.vidguide.com/VL <- has pics of the parcel shelf under the Photos section.