Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gas vs Petrol

Shivaga

Reaction score
Website
www.bhss.com.au
Members Ride
'05 VZ Lumina 3.6V6
Hi everyone, just wondering what the pros and cons are with petrol and gas engines. like mainly power output, and cleanslyness and the difference in maintenance needs.
Its just been a question thats been on my mind lately. I know it would be cheaper these days with gas, but yeah...you know what i mean!

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
gas cheaper, higher octane, rating still as safe as petrol has no cons except you have to pay to get your car converted and you still have to start your car on petrol.

petrol burns dirty, has lower octane rating pros you can put petrol in without modification

in other words if you have the cash go gas you dont loose power if you get a good conversion with a dual computer setup in fact i got a quote the other day dual fuel with guaranteed no power loss for $2350 brand new installed etc dual computer setup

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
gas con needa get tank checked every 10 years lol

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.2ltr car
OK
with a camary i would use the gas to cause an explosion, and get the insuance money for it........

Seriously, using LPG has compremises. Often using dual fuel LPG the economy is worse than with petrol (say 30% or so). To recover intitial setup costs of say $2.5k and assuming you are running econimy with the camary of 10ltr/100km

therefore
Assuming lpg=50c/ltr and petrol $1.30/ltr. and economy is 13l/100km on lpg (7.69km/ltr)gets out the calulator..........

Formula ((setup cost [$2500])/(savings per litre petrol-lpg [$0.65]))*(km per litre [7.69])
=29,576 km to recover cost only.

If you done straight gas conversion , with increased compression, specific computer porgramming etc etc (say capital cost of around 6-7k$) you would be looking at a hefty 75000km recovery cost.

Worth it----------------well erm um NO!!!

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
Hehe, good call on blowing up the camry (sorry dude..)

Geez, at that cost I aint going to do it, but was curious too... oh well...

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.2ltr car
anyone who buys a camary needs to dontate thier brain to science, so that the wise sicenteists can determine the persons illogical thought patterens.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
30,000kms is what i had figuered for money back also. straight gas not worth it no but dual fuel yes if you plan on keeping your car for a year or so.

However you then have to think with the consistanly rising costs of fuel you would get your money back sooner that you would think.

sully

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
HDT_aero said:
i got a quote the other day dual fuel with guaranteed no power loss for $2350 brand new installed etc dual computer setup

just out of interest who quoted this?

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
sully said:
just out of interest who quoted this?

pr automotive torrensville SA

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
i have a mate with a VP commodore on gas(dual system). mixed highway and city driving he gets 14litres/100k. in Brisbane were paying .43 cents / litre therefore 14/l/100k = $6.02/100k's.

i have a VS V6 which uses 11odd litres/100k mixed driving = $14.40 @$1.20/litre

at this rate i know the next car i buy i will get a dual fuel system. i will save approx $40 per week driving 500k / week. i won't convert Calais as it has 220,000 on it and will upgrade in the near future.

i have driven a AU Falcon S3 on gas around town used 20litres/100k. $8.60/100k