Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gas vs Petrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.2ltr car
if i was doing a car on the old LPG id either do it when i first bought it. SOmetimes u gotta assume you had the money on intrest (say like a visa), then the payback km's would be increased.

If buidling a performace engine though, and running it on straight gas, you dont need cat converters, and emmissions are far less, so you can have a more radical state of tune, but for a camary well id say its not worth the expendature.

A

Ange

hey guys
thinking about converting my VX Comm Sed V6 to LPG but there is so many ways about doing it and so many different systems. Just want some good info

Shivaga

Reaction score
Website
www.bhss.com.au
Members Ride
'05 VZ Lumina 3.6V6
ok you mean bastards (jk), i wasnt thinking about it for the cam, more for just knowing what was better. And i'll let you all know:
1. I never baught the camry, its still in me mums name, i've just been driving it all year!!!
2. I'm in the market to buy my own car!!!
3. I've found a sweet HQ and you'll prbly see me in it at the Xmas meet!!!

YEEEEEEEHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWw

G

Greggy

It's been stated here that converting to duel fuel is around $2500, but someone has also stated that a DEDICATED conversion is $6500. "Holy blistering barnicles Batman!", that's a huge difference in price. :(

I was considering a full DEDICATED conversion for my caprice, but If that pricing is actually correct then "I don't think so Tim!". :eek:

I sort of liked the idea that I could rip out my existing petrol tank and shove the lpg tank in its' place, therefore not loosing any of my precious massive amount of boot space. :D

Does anyone have any particular recomendations in mind on a reputable shop or contractor in Adelaide to do the job? Thanx

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
If I was super keen with a little more cash and knowledge up my sleeve I'd go Dedicated gas setup 100%. Without even thinking twice about it.

Apparently old technology is still used, but theres alot of R&D going on. And I can only imagine this getting stepped up a notch - business would be booming for the guys right now with the amount of conversions going on.

But in higher hp applications, LPG oh yeah. I'm fairly sure theres a LPG driven vlt that is running 10's - But still filling up the tank on cheap as chips LPG.

Jesk

registered lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 ef2 fairmont
bextor84 said:
But in higher hp applications, LPG oh yeah. I'm fairly sure theres a LPG driven vlt that is running 10's - But still filling up the tank on cheap as chips LPG.

yeah i know there is a sliver xe fairmont that runs dedicated gas and pulls high 8s, if i could remember where id post it with in, but maybe itll come back to me

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah i guess a straight conversion would be better in the long run but not for the price, not for me anyway. Interesting they they state you wont loose any power, i have a feeling that might be correct for about 6 or so months, my dad had a straight conversion on our old HZ and they said a tiny loss of power it was blue printed/balanced... and it did loose a bit of power but not too bad but after about a year it started to get pretty bad but keep in mind we did get a pretty rough job, very rough. things rubbing on the radiator i cant remember exactly what it was (a few years ago) but yeah that might have lost power because it was a shotty jop or maybe they all loose power after time and clockign up some Ks

stockhorse

Reaction score
Website
www.equinecaregroup.com
Members Ride
VP exec ser2 wagon
Hi all, I'm a newbie here but this topic caught my interest.Will soon be the owner of a brand new crewman cross 8. Can't get anyone to do a conversion to gas on it at the moment.All dealers/converters will tell me is that holden are developing an injector system to be released probably in december and no one will do a convertion until then. Estimated costs for dual fuel is $4000 and no one recommends or will quote on dedicated gas.Why is this so?
Thanks

czerwonyVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 3.8 A4
ive heard LPG aint good on cars like magnas and camrys... id put this down to the high compression and high state of tune they run... also ive heard that petrol is better for your valves, valve seats etc...

when you add up the costs, you really dont save that much. id rather just put a few extra hours in at work.

ENV5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec, VC SL/E V8, 2x Lada Nivas
czerwonyVN said:
ive heard LPG aint good on cars like magnas and camrys... id put this down to the high compression and high state of tune they run... also ive heard that petrol is better for your valves, valve seats etc...

when you add up the costs, you really dont save that much. id rather just put a few extra hours in at work.

ok ive leart this from experience if you want to get lpg installed either duel fuel or dedicated be warned that you will have to get the heads done coz the valves and seats do deteriorate after time it doesnt just happen on magnas and camry's i have a vs v6 ecotec and i had my car diagnosed at gilbert holdens in mt barker and the results came back saying im getting valve ressesion etc etc so i went to repco and got a quote on lpg reconditioned heads they said it would cost $285 each head change over so i thought that was fairly cheap for pretty much a new head with hardened valves and seats so im now saving up the cash and i will be going down that path very shortly

NOTE:- that price doesnt inc installing