Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gas

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
hey guys...

im lookin to buy a VX in about 3 months ill have about 8.5k but id like to convert to gas WELL within that price.

since i dont know much about gas conversions... well yeah... please enlighten me :):)

prices aswell... n whts the deal with the rebate?

thanks xD

bigfut

Ve Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega
Used HOLDEN COMMODORE VX EXECUTIVE 2001 - Victoria - CarPoint Australia
Here's one where you wouldnt have to install lpg. In the vx there seem to be quite a few already with lpg, and some with factory fit.
The earlier the lpg was installed the better, if you choose to go that way, as lpg is cleaner burning, so is nicer for the engine. I used to have a 02 vx exec factory lpg, and was up to 210,000kms and still going strong, ran really well on gas, and open road I would get 550-600kms out of an 80L tank.

In regards to an install, my ve was quoted at 4950 installed, for an injected system, but a vx you could have the older style system which taps into the air intake (not sure of actual name of it sorry), which should be cheaper, this system worked fine in my vx, it can sometimes cause a backfire that exits through the air intake box, but this is generally caused if you get a **** fill, similar to if you get crap petrol, your car wont run too flash, but other than clipping the air box closed again, thats about it.

The rebate is done through centrelink, you print a form off the net from the website, and then hand that in, to centrelink with the installer certificate, and they will give you the $2,000 rebate for the install, Ill be doing this when my install gets done soonish.

The only pro I thought I might mention in regards to getting a petrol vx and then doing the install, is you can opt for a doughnut tank in the spare wheel well, and retain the bootspace, where as the factory fit option is an 80l tank behind the back seat, so almost halves the bootspace.

Hope this helps you, if you need any more info just ask.

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
i have a preference of a wagon over a sedan, they are just more versatile imo..

ive heard its the standard thing to use the spare wheel well in wagons... but what happens to the spare wheel? lol

i thought of something els to ask aswell.. but ive forgotten... so yeah... theres prolly gonna be more questions :p

EDIT:
also.. i live in SA.. so id really like to buy in SA..

the idea of flying over, buying and driving back sounds nice.. could turn it into a road trip with some mates.. but realistically.. i think it'd be a bad idea...
spending the money for fly over, accommodation, transport, etc.. i would be disappointed and out of pocket if i didn't come home with a car.. so im gonna be preasured to buy a car if i fly over..

bigfut

Ve Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega
I wasnt sure what state you were in, so just pulled that one up. The spare in wagons sits upright against the side back window with a little cover on it normally. Not sure if its the same in the vx, but the vz wagons have a doughnut tank, and the floor is raised slightly to accomodate the tank, thats in the factory fitted one

bigfut

Ve Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega
5B09F4561F1F4322BC3B7AD93F24D896.jpg

Couldnt find a commodore wagon, heres a falcon, same thing is done anyway.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
The deal with the rebate is you get $2000 back from the cost of the conversion. atm the basic factory system for the vx whould be able to be fitted for less than $3000 - rebate = ~$1000, if you go donut tank etc, it maybe more expensive. There are conditions that shouldnt affect you for the rebate , but look them up. The factory setup for the vx is superior to the aftermarket offerings and well worth paying slighter more for.

Based on the rebate, IMHO its possibly a better option to buy a low mileage petrol example and convert, rather than an already converted example. The converted car will still demand some premium over a car that hasnt been converted, dont really understand why with the rebate, though perhaps because its ready to roll with the stuff already fitted and all the teething problems sorted(or more likely a host of problems happening).
The converted car is far more likely to have travelled huge distances and the lpg system in need of attention, unless it was the factory system in perfect condition, Id steer clear. Lpg tanks must be tested every ten years, they dont have to be....but if you are going to keep on the right side of your insurance company or need to get a rwc, then it must have the date of the test stamped on a label on the tank. One reason to keep in mind how old the install is when you buy, the test is ~$2-300.

also if you only look for converted cars, you restrict the offerings hugely.

Last edited:

poweredbycng

Reaction score
You can either install a mixer-based system or an injected system on a VX. The "factory" systems were mixer-based systems using IMPCO equipment which is probably the type of conversion you should be asking for, unless you wish to go the injected route. Just make sure you change your spark plugs religiously often, as backfires through the intake system will result if you don't. Contrary to what has been said above, backfires are rarely caused by bad gas unless the gas quality is so bad that the stoichiometric ratio is way out, and even the your gas computer should be able to compensate for that.

Regards,
Dave

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
ok I don't know what half these guys are talking about but...

Gas conversion can be done in these ways

1. Duel Fuel - With an injection system that taps onto the air intake (previously mentioned) Costs around $2500 (give or take a few hundred dollars depending on the place you get it done and whether you have a donut tank or a standard boot tank) take $2000 off for the rebate, ends up only being around $400 - $600 out of pocket
  2. Duel Fuel - Direct Injection system that injects the gas straight into the engine (doesn't lose any power, performs the same as petrol) Costs around $4500 (give or take a few hundred dollars depending on the place you get it done and whether you have a donut tank or a standard boot tank) take $2000 off for the rebate, ends up only being around $2400 - $2600 out of pocket
  3. Straight Gas system - take out the fuel tank and have the car run on dedicated LPG, running either of the two systems stated above. (costs around $3500 for standard or $5500 for direct injection (price once again varying on factors listed above)

In respect to the first system (the tapped air intake - which is what I have on my VS), you lose about 20% power and 20 - 30% economy, due to the nature of LPG and the system in which it is injected and burnt. I have a 75 litre gas tank in my boot (you can only fill gas tanks to 80% of they're capacity to allow for expansion and other safety factors) so this turns out to be around 60 litres full capacity. I get around 250 k's out of a tank of gas, and I don't give it a bootful, rarely do I ever get above 4000rpm...

In respect to the second system (the direct engine injection system), you don't lose any power compared to petrol, but LPG is still uneconomical, losing around 15 - 30% economy, depending on the car.

MAJOR POINT

LPG being a 'cleaner fuel' is debatable, LPG puts more stress on the engine, and parts do wear out quicker. Gas does eventually do more damage to your engine than petrol. Hence you ask every single person on this forum, and everyone will agree that LPG is for vans, taxis and other 'unworthy' vehicles.

However, due to the current economic circumstances, with Petrol being ridiculously overpriced...more people are turning towards LPG as a cheaper way of running their cars. I agree, I am one of those people who have converted their cars (I'm a full time uni student, I do alot of driving). Gas is good for me...however, if I had plenty of money, I would always choose to run my car on petrol.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
[*]Duel Fuel -.

what's duel fuel?

MAJOR POINT

LPG being a 'cleaner fuel' is debatable, LPG puts more stress on the engine, and parts do wear out quicker.

If you talked about CO2 emissions you'd be right, but all other emissions are less, parts wear out quicker? only valves and seats that arent designed for them

Hence you ask every single person on this forum, and everyone will agree that LPG is for vans, taxis and other 'unworthy' vehicles..

yeh right.

Gas is good for me...however, if I had plenty of money, I would always choose to run my car on petrol.

Same for me, but then again if that was the case I wouldnt even need to drive a car.

T-MaKK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY Executive
awesome.. thanks for the help.

ill be completly honest.. i wanna buy a commo so i have the power/comfort to put the car sideways occasionally.. but i also want better economy. (one of my best friends is movin about 40ks away, and i wanna be able to see them as often as i can.. and since ims till at school workin at foodland, without a lpg conversion i wont be able to afford to.)

but yeah.. lol i duno..

the 2nd dual fuel option looks like what ill need.