Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gasket between 202 exhaust and inlet manifold?

tommytoan

Reaction score
Members Ride
WB One tonner, 202, 4spd
Heyas,

I have had a few posts so far on here as im going through fixing my manifold and carb issues, you guys have been awesomely helpful.

There is a lot missing between my exhaust and inlet manifold (pics attached), they are supposed to be bolted together and have a gasket but im not sure if mine has had one for a while. Should I worry about this? I found this thread,
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...8-1985/98995-202-inlet-manifold-question.html

Can any of the fuel/air mix travel down to this section that connects the inlet and exhaust? The holes where past studs or bolts went to hold these together are pretty rusted up and the holes on the exhaust look sealed.

Also, on my inlet manifold I have a sleeve missing which you can see in the pic. Im wondering if I need to be finding a new sleeve or if it is ok to be left as is.

again thanks for any help you can give and helping me learn!

Attachments

• IMAG0069.jpg
    IMAG0069.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 622
  • IMAG0070.jpg
    IMAG0070.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • IMAG0071.jpg
    IMAG0071.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 1,020

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
No fuel or air gets down to that part of the inlet manifold that bolts to the exhaust manifold. By memory no exhaust gases escape either.I would clean it up and use the gaskets as shown. I cut the bottom part of the inlet manifold off and installed headers.I also had a 32/36 weber with mechanical secondaries and that really woke the old 202 up.Had a 350 for a while and it lacked both performance and fuel economy compared to the weber.

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
As for the sleeve If it ran ok before then leave it or get another manifold.The inlet manifold is a Blue motor one ,but not sure on the exhaust. it says you drive a VB which had a red motor.

tommytoan

Reaction score
Members Ride
WB One tonner, 202, 4spd
i will change that now. Its a WB one tonner

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Originally those holes in the exhaust manifold would have been open, they are a cold start thing. The exhaust gas heats up the intake manifold and lessens the time the choke is on, reducing pollution. The holes in the manifold are welded up, don't worry about the gaskets, they will do nothing. Just bolt it up.

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah they are welded up. gaskets not needed.As said it is to heat up the intake manifold to help start the motor when cold. Doesn't get that cold here in QLD.

tommytoan

Reaction score
Members Ride
WB One tonner, 202, 4spd
sweet thanks guys. I put the intake manifold in a hot degreaser bath last night, forgot to dry it out in the sun today :(, so have to wait to tomoz to begin putting things back together.

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
hi tommytoan where did you get the gaskets between the inlet and exhaust manifold, being trying to find them but not having any luck

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
hi tommytoan where did you get the gaskets between the inlet and exhaust manifold, being trying to find them but not having any luck

If they are to suit the VH listed as your members ride...……

You can get them as a set of 3.....AA Gaskets Part# JC396
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?...leDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=HA368&LH_TitleDesc=0

Or you can get them as a set with the manifold gasket.....AA Gaskets Part# HA368
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?...leDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=JC396&LH_TitleDesc=0

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

That was back in 2013 ...