Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gaskets and Gasket Goo

Wacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan
Hi Guys,

Just a sort of quick question that'll turn into a long one...and it's not really a specific VR/VS one, but I'll post here anyway :)

What sort of Gasket Goo do people use, if any, on the various gaskets on their engines, such as Thermostat housing, Head gaskets, Sump gaskets etc.

I've read a bit about the Hylomar stuff, and an old friend of my brother's used to have to use it (or a blue spray on stuff anyway) for some european cars.

I've also read that some peolple will only put goo around the bolts (not sure if that means on the surface of the gasket around the bolt hole, or on the actual bolt itself).

I've always used that stinky (smells like vinegar to me) black stuff (usually let my mate get his hands dirty) and spread it over the entire gasket (or mating surface) but I'm not sure if that is really necessary.

What's the go with Holdens? Do they need goo? If so, is the spray stuff any good?

Cheers !

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Depends what gasket your doing. I use the black tar stuff on most of my gaskets except head,manifold,rocker cover,any fuel injection stuff or any cork gaskets.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
There is a whole range of gasket goo, like high temp, and even sensor sensitive. Guessing need to do some research.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The idea behind a gasket is to seal the gap between 2 surfaces....and if you use the proper gasket designed for the job you need NO extra sealants. That is the theory.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
hako said:
The idea behind a gasket is to seal the gap between 2 surfaces....and if you use the proper gasket designed for the job you need NO extra sealants. That is the theory.
in theory all your mating surfaces are perfectly smooth and flat. That is rarely the case once they start getting worked on. some motors come out of the factory with gasket goo on them.

W

wizza

gasket glue is **** why not make some gaskets? wouldnt cost that much to make.

Wacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan
Sorry, it seems I probably wasn't too clear in my opening post.

What I was trying to ask, is
(a) When do you use goo/sealant, and when don't you (never use it when you have a proper gasket?) ?
(b) When you do use it, what do you use (the black icky stuff, spray, paint, etc)? and how do you use it (coat both surfaces with goo and then sandwich gasket in between or only use it on the gaskets around bolt/ntu holes?)

From my research on this forum, and others, it appears there are many different theories, and I'm trying to work out the most credible, so that I do things right (or at least semi-right).
The fact that some responses have already been cleary different (someone uses goo on some gaskets, and others no goo on any gaskets) shows that maybe discussion is warranted....or not.

And yes, I know there is a whole range of different goos for different applications, but that isn't waht I'm asking here.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I always check what the manual (Gregory) says when it tells you how to re-assemble. If they consider that a gasket plus sealant is required for that particular item then they will say so. Otherwise no sealant is required - only the gasket.
I only use sealant if the mating surfaces are rusted, corroded or have been overheated. Some gasket sets you buy tell you not to use any sealant as this will compromise the gasket.
Maybe some sealants give you a little more insurance or whatever, and as 'maginoodle' says they come from the factory that way (though the workshop manual doesn't tell you to use sealant). With worn or dodgy parts, a sealant may save you many dollars especially if you do not intend to keep the car for a long period.
So I suppose common sense guided by what the repair manual says is the go.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Im not professional but hako's theory sounds like the theory that I would use. Makes the most sense.

Wacky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan
Thanks guys, that makes alot of sense now, coupled with the initial responses. I have a Gregory's guide now so will reference their notes of when and when not to use it and how.

Thanks again !