Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gauges

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Something flew by my line of sight on Faceache (a ridiculous place really) about pods created from 3D master schema and fitted into the centre-dash speaker fascia, with wiring routed from a notch through the fascia into the instruments. Sound cool? Well... Unless you have a good idea of the likely sequelae from splicing additional wiring into the VF electronics, and how to pacify an unsettled system, it's probably best to save yourself any grief; it's not plug-and-play. The other option is the aftermarket EDI (enhanced driver interface) that replaces the default MyLink functionality and provides such intricate information as oil pressure, vacuum and the all-important hoon-alert level. Again, foibles with MyLink after such upgrades (one amongst many) are not at all uncommon.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
has anyone installed or know if you can install gauge pod pillars on the VF??
If you are considering one of those a-pillar guage setups, unless you know how the side airbag deploys and what force is imparted onthe a-pillar trim piece, you’d be foolish to place something on the a-pillar or replace the a-pillar with something else :eek:

So, unless you are comfortable with someone throwing the a-pillar gauge pod (with gauges) into your face, don’t do such a mod unless you know (from an engineering perspective) that the airbag won’t do the same during a crash...

I‘d go the way of and ODB Bluetooth dongle and a phone app whenever you want to look at some data (as a cheap option) or EDI on MyLink (with its possible issues) as Big Red suggested.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
If you are considering one of those a-pillar guage setups, unless you know how the side airbag deploys and what force is imparted onthe a-pillar trim piece, you’d be foolish to place something on the a-pillar or replace the a-pillar with something else

I don't think anything at all should be put on the top of the dashboard, or those pillars (I've seen those pods too, and it's scary: invariably, the owners also ask, "how do I disable the pillar airbags?"), save for a specifically engineered dash mat that does not hinder deployment of the airbag on the left. Nothing else. Not dials and gauges and iPads and cup holders. Some of the stuff and trinkets I've seen on dashboards — nodding Staffies, jiggling Hawaiin girls and wobbling, bouncing dildos (that complement the ginormous silver testicles dangling from the towbar). And just a few days ago close by here, a pink Hyundai "bubble car" with a dashboard turned over to living space for lurid yellow Mr Men stuffed toys.

Last edited:

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
If you are considering one of those a-pillar guage setups, unless you know how the side airbag deploys and what force is imparted onthe a-pillar trim piece, you’d be foolish to place something on the a-pillar or replace the a-pillar with something else :eek:

So, unless you are comfortable with someone throwing the a-pillar gauge pod (with gauges) into your face, don’t do such a mod unless you know (from an engineering perspective) that the airbag won’t do the same during a crash...

I‘d go the way of and ODB Bluetooth dongle and a phone app whenever you want to look at some data (as a cheap option) or EDI on MyLink (with its possible issues) as Big Red suggested.

Does the curtain airbag deploy from the A pillar ? I thought it came down from the area above the window. Still getting to know this car.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Does the curtain airbag deploy from the A pillar ? I thought it came down from the area above the window. Still getting to know this car.
Curtain bag runs the length of the hoodlining, it comes out from the rubbers seals

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The side airbag module goes from a little more than 1/2 way up the a-Pilar all the way along the roof edge to near the rear headrests. Unless you’re familiar with deployment process, it’s dangerous running wires near airbags...