Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear Box Oil Thickener

lifel355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
I always come on this site for all my problems, but today I actually made an account. So greetings commodore lovers :)

My gearbox whines, so I had a look under neath the car and there is too places you can top of the oil on the gear box. One is closer to the front of the car, and the other is about 30cm from that one. I put a oil thickerning product in the front one, although the whining hasnt reduced, but the gears are a lot more smoother when changing through them.

I was thinking do both these fill up points do the same thing for the gear box or are they different?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Banana skins used to be the old trick to help stop whining gear boxes and diffs.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Why don't you just buy thicker oil? The gearbox is almost 20 years old, chances are that bits and pieces in it need replacing.

That or it's your thrust bearing.

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
i'm assuming a manual gearbox, is it a t5 or a getrag gear box? how many km's on the car? might need a tear down and replace worn bearing, thrust bearing etc, you could try a thicker oil i know penrite and nulon do a manual gear box treatment.

edit:nulon additive

re-garding fill up points one should be down the bottom which is the drain port, and there is one about 1/2 way up which is the fill port.
according to the service manualit takes 1.9L of oil, oil type will depend if its a getrag or a t5 borg warner box

lifel355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Thanks for the replies guys. Hmm it's a manual 5 speed yes, getrag though not t5. Car is on just under 200,000 kms. There is two fill up points though.
Maybe I will drian the oil and ask the guys in the shop what a good thick oil is good for the getrag? And if that doesn't help at all I will get all the parts replaced