Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear box problem????

clazzza commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 vr executive wagon
if i havnt drivin my VR 4 a while or its a real cold morning after i start it and put it in either reverse or drive when u put your foot down it barley moves and the revs get realy high(feels like its in nutural),the only way iv found 2 get it moving is handbrake on stick it in neatural and pump it to about 4000rpm then when u select a gear it moves normaly.i was thinking myb replace the trans fluid?

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
yeah change that fluid over, could also put sum transmission conditioner in there as well once u change the fluid, to get rid of the residue build up on bands and clutches etc etc.

Gotta get a trans service kit, so u get a new filter and cork gasket no point just droppin the fluid then having the new stuff run thru a dirty filter

Can do the job urself for around 50-70 depending on what oil, serivvce kit u get n where from

clazzza commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 vr executive wagon
so where can u get a kit from and the filter and cork?

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
bursons, repco, autobarn, supercheap all those will have em instock.

Jst go in ask for a auto trans service kit for a VR, that has new filter, and cork gasket.

Then u just need to choose sum Dextron 3 trans fluid

Drop the pan, (oil goes everywhere on these pans) clean the magnet in the sump pan, change the filter n pop in the new gasket tighten it all up then refill the trans to the right level, run for a 15min drive then check the fluid level again, top up if needed

clazzza commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 vr executive wagon
so u tip the new trans fluid down where the trans dip stick goes?

willsvs

will
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
tip

when servicing check what colour ur oil is it should be cherry red but if it is a browning black colour with a bad smell i would recommend taking it to an automatic transmission machanic and just tell em what u posted