Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear drive for L98

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi folks

thinking about putting a timing gear drive on my VE SSV (Milodon, Pete Jackson, Edelbrock etc).... love the sound of a whining drive (beats the hell out of a whining wife!).

Anyway - wonding if anyone has heard of an L98 6L engine fitted with a gear drive?

I want it to be audible.... but don't want it to be over the top annoying as the car is an everyday driver.

And yes... I know..... a supercharger would be better.... but funds do not permit!

Have already done the CAI, and would look at an exhaust & chip mod as well.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• thumb2.jpg
    thumb2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 482

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
Don't know much about these but found this on the net today you might want to consider.
"A gear-drive timing set being promoted and sold via a few discussion groups is not such a good idea. Many engine builders know for longevity you do not want to use aftermarket gear-drive timing on an engine not designed for it, they prefer timing chains and belts, the reason is simple, chains and belts have a cushioning effect that absorbs shocks and makes life easier on the valvetrain.
Race engines that use gear-drive timing are often torn down and rebuilt or checked out every few runs! There are some OEM engines that use gear-drive timing, but those are designed that way by the manufacturers and much engineering, research and development and huge budgets support the required effort that goes in to those designs, there are many variables that must be dealt with."

Like I said, Don't know much about these but let us know what you decide as it's something I have not seen on this forum before.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
thanks mov.... good info. appreciate it!