Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear indicator lights in centre console

scoopyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Hey everyone.
I've got a 2000 VT Wagon auto, and ever since I bought it (I think) the light/lights underneath where it tells you what gear you're in when you turn you headlights on at night don't come on unless I tap - or sometimes thump - the console.
I work at night and it's usually after midnight when I come out to my car to drive home, and I'd like to be able to see what gear I'm putting the car in when I turn my headlights on.
That is, I'm assuming these gear console lights are connected to the headlights and only work when the headlights are on, but I know nothing so...
Anyway, I'm wondering is there a way of finding out what might be causing this, or how I might fix it?
I did a search and came up with a couple of threads about how to remove the console, but I'd like to be able to determine what the problem is. That is, could a new globe do the trick or could it be something else, because once I get the lights to come on, they stay on.
Is anyone able to give me some advice with this one please?
Thanx.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Either a faulty bulb or poor connection at the bulb. If going to the trouble of pulling the console apart you might as well whack in a new globe.

Roars666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II 5.7 SS........VE V6 07 CALAIS
Hey mate, by the sound of it you have a loose connection.
Remove the shroud of the gear selector and underneath at the back to the right is the wires , globe and globe holder, inspect all that and fix replace as necessary.

scoopyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Great, thanks guys.
I'll have a look.
Regards,

scoopyx.