Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear Ratio

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
i tell ya, ive had just about enough now of this stupid gearbox, you spend the money and people just cant seem to do it, next time i might do it myself,

does anyone out there know why when i drive my car vns2, for some reason, the gearchanges are very quick and sharp, it actualy will send your head flying you can feel it, it's a defenate jolt. any why does my car sound like it's reving it's guts out in 4th gear but yet i actualy do have a 4th gear?

and why is it vibrating in 4th gear

please help, im getting very frustrated (it's become obiouse that queensland mechanic's are usless)

garth

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Howdy Garth,
It sounds like to me as though the kick down cable hasn't been adjusted correctly.

I know when I got my car back from the auto place I had to adjust the kick down cable to suit how I drive, perhaps you may need to try the same thing?

If your unsure where to find the kick down it's located on top of the throttle body at the rear of the engine bay. Below you will find a pic

Sorry about the quality but what more do you expect from a crappy Motorola phone

I can't recall which way extends the gear shift or decreases it but adjust it slowly one way or the other and take it for a quick drive and see what it's like.

Did this only start recently happening as in since you got it back from your mechanic? Does it rev but go nowhere when you put your foot down? Check the trans fluid level as well while your at it as you never know.

I know exactly how you feel about dodgy mechanics, I have one in the family and refuse to go to him unless it was work which he did and is under warranty.

Any more info would be somewhat helpful although transmission aren't my cup of tea as I've explained in other threads

Cheers
Darren

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
pretty much, when in 4th gear it will sit on about 80km quite happy, but the minute you put any sort of load on the motor it will try to do what you want it to do but you can realy hear the motor working it's butt off, im not sure why, the fluid seems to be quite full, it sitt's just below the full hot mark.

it never did this before i took it in, it's quite unfortunat though, i would love to take it back to mechanice but they will wanna take it off the road for 2 day's again like last time. It's as if it's a gutless wonder now

cheers
garth

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
That doesn't very good at all, what happens if you leave it in 3rd and attempt to put your foot down a bit. It could be just overdrive that is playing up?

As bad as it might be without the car it sounds as though one of the clutches would be slipping which could lead to all sorts of damage on the inside if something does let go.

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
well, what more can i say, today, driving home, i lost 4th gear all over again, followed by 3rd, i limped car back to shop, and well, sure enough, the same bloody problem, but this is the best part, i payed them all that money for a new gearbox, and well all they did was fix the old one i have. so, well, after a very heated discusion, they are replacing my gearbox, complete rebuild, and then the can go to hell, these guy's are gonna get the worst wrap of me in the local new's paper.

3800VK

Check the lockup solanoid, wiring to the ecu, and connectors.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Do what we used to do with computer parts, we used to mark them that way if we got them back we know whether it was the same one or a new one completely.

Some mechanics will go to any lengths to make money. Head to one of the current affairs programs, that oughta get them to sort out there stuff quick smart.

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
pretty much what i did, i put a bit of tape on the top of the bellhouseing so if it's taken off it would have been removed, i also put some liquid paper over a few of the bolts in the pan, just to make sure they are actualy doing something about it, if they dont, i tell ya, it's gonna be a mass murder up here, you will see it on the new's, i can see the headlighs' now, disgruntaled commodore owner try's to make mechanic's head fit down the dipstick pipe.

ill let you all know how i go in the upcomming day or so

cheers
garth

3800VK

Well. how did you go?
Have they fixed it yet, I haven't heard any news reports of disfigured mechanics, so I hope its all good.
Mines starting to show similar signs, quick changes and working motor. I might try find a good auto place to look at it before it goes pop. It has just started to make a slight hissing sound when in gear too, so I am keeping driving to a minimum.
I can't afford a new trans at the mome. Let us know what it was?
Thanx.

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
i got it back, yippie, then they got it straight back, the problem was gone, no worries, but they realy did something wrong with the engine, it just was screwed, i went up there raving and ranting, told them to fix it, i wont get my car back now for about 1 week, it's now down the road having the engine rebuilt, from top to bottom for me, and im not paying a red sent, the auto place is paying for the dammage that their messup has done. not sure what it's done, but i know that when it's blowing a heap of realy grey smoke and goes threw 1 liter of oil a day it's not good

cheers
garth