Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear Shifter / starter motor Issue (trimatic-V8)

VLmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 333
As I understand it, the car can be safely started in "park" and "neutral". BUT not in gear - obviously. My issue is that the engine can start when i have the shifter in neutral with ONLY the accessories on (not turned forward to ignition) - NOTE: this will only happen though when the shifter is toggled north or south of the neutral centre position (so what i mean is when you shift it up toward reverse or down towards drive but not actually moving into these gears). These seems to be some play either way.
Further more, when the car actually turns over and runs from this position, adjustment of the shift lever cause an almighty screeching, I think from the starter motor/fly wheel area.
Can anyone help me to fix the issue. Last thing I need to get sorted before RWC.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You need to set the neutral safety switch to the shifter and then adjust the shifter to transmission linkage. Or conversely, make sure the shifter lingage is set correctly so the shifter is in the gate and then adjust the safety neutral switch to suit. And check the shifter linkage for play.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Adjust inhibitor screwed into shifter...not the actual shifter.

You'll see it when pop cover over t-bar handle.

VLmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 333
Thanks. Well, I have now had the Auto sparky out. He tells me that the neutral start switch on my car is likely from the VK and is slightly different. This is why it almost worked perfectly, but had the issues mentioned previously. The wiring was chopped and reconnected just upstream of the switch indicating that the previous owner left the loom in place and just changed out the switch. Can anyone tell if the VK switch was different, even mildly different, as the photos on the net look pretty much the same except for the loom connector. Anyway he said I will need a new switch. Have not seen any on the net, might be impossible to get, anyone know where I could get one. Thanks

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks. Well, I have now had the Auto sparky out. He tells me that the neutral start switch on my car is likely from the VK and is slightly different. This is why it almost worked perfectly, but had the issues mentioned previously. The wiring was chopped and reconnected just upstream of the switch indicating that the previous owner left the loom in place and just changed out the switch. Can anyone tell if the VK switch was different, even mildly different, as the photos on the net look pretty much the same except for the loom connector. Anyway he said I will need a new switch. Have not seen any on the net, might be impossible to get, anyone know where I could get one. Thanks

I'm unaware of the phone number or business name unfortunately, but I am aware of a place in S.A that wrecks VL's....Will endeavour to get their details for you tomorrow (2/2/21) and take it from there

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Can't see how trimatic shifter or inhibitor would be any different from any vb-vl especially when wire colours/purpose were basically kept the same between models.

Basically unscrewd off trimatic shifter then unplugged on tunnel & plug + wire colours should match

Can only think maybe they tried to adapt jatco inhibitor or shifter...unsured as never messed with vl 6cyl stuff.

VLmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 333
I'm unaware of the phone number or business name unfortunately, but I am aware of a place in S.A that wrecks VL's....Will endeavour to get their details for you tomorrow (2/2/21) and take it from there

Any luck with that name/number VC_commodre
cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Any luck with that name/number VC_commodre
cheers

Crap, forgot....Busy with my VC.......Will duck out there later and get the details...Sorry about that.

Update...Here are the details

Adelaide VL DNA (dismantlers and autos)

0473 315 298

Facebook.com/adelaide-vl-dna

Address is Bayer Road Elizabeth South

Unfortunately I couldn't see a number to the property....

Last edited:

VLmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 333
Hey thanks mate. Real nice of you. I will call them on Monday.
Good to know there is a commodore wrecker around that wont say "na mate we don't carry anything that old" get that a bit.
cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hey thanks mate. Real nice of you. I will call them on Monday.
Good to know there is a commodore wrecker around that wont say "na mate we don't carry anything that old" get that a bit.
cheers

Having to own an early girl, I have found a few places that deal with that stuff, just in case it is needed and am more than happy to pass on these sorts of contacts.....