Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gear Stick Removal (HELP!)

breeana

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu 2002 ute
Hey guys so i wanted to replace my Gear stick knob for my Holden VU 2002 Ute But im not sure how, some people are saying just pull hard and it will just pop off but im not confinement about that so someone please tell me how!!!

Thank you :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Is this for a manual transmission?

If I'm not mistaken they are threaded onto the the gear shifter shaft. You will need to twist it anti-clockwise to get it off.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I know back when I had my VY SS, it was just pressed on. You had to pull really hard, but they do pop off.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
They are very hard (sometimes impossible) to get off while still in the car. Because of rattle problems some of the knobs were even stuck onto the gear stick with glue. If you really, really, really, want to replace the knob, the best way would be to remove the gear stick from the trans, place it in a vice with soft jaws, and use some leverage to remove the knob.

breeana

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu 2002 ute
Yes its for manuel, i have tried to just pull it off but its not coming off? it feels like its not ment to come off this way?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Yes its for manuel, i have tried to just pull it off but its not coming off? it feels like its not ment to come off this way?

They shift knob will come off by pulling vertically, sometimes they are an absolute mongrel of a thing to get off because as mentioned above, it may been glued back on previously

With the shift knob held firmly in your strongest hand (and your weaker hand helping from underneath it), try to move only the shift knob back and forth a little while also pulling in a vertical direction
WARNING:
Do not have your head directly above the shift knob while trying to remove it, because if it suddenly comes loose you will smack yourself in the head pretty hard....It's pretty funny when it happens to somebody else, but it's not so funny when it happens to you ;)

breeana

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu 2002 ute
s-l225.webp
I bought a knob like this off ebay but blue, would this fit my vu commodore ute? I will give that a try Tonner Matt :) I have watch videos on how to remove it but they all screw off and i tried that but it just keeps screwing and not coming off so ill try pulling it up as hard as i can but i just wanna make sure that this knob fits first :) Thanks all for the suggestions!