Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox crapped itself

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I was driving home last night on the highway, cruise control on and just listening to the music when the car went into 3rd gear. I released cruise control and had no throttle but it still didn't go into 4th, I even manually selected 3rd and then back into drive but still no good. So I pulled over into a break-down area and then I notice some smoke/steam coming out of the bonnet, I'm like ohhhh not good :bang:. Anyway open the bonnet and I can't see any oil leaks or anything, no coolant leak or power steering leak. So I look under the car and there is transmission oil on the road and all down the right-side underbelly from the bell-housing to the fuel tank.

Anyway 2 days ago I had a transmission guy replace the extension housing seal and install a corvette servo, needless to say the car was towed accross the road from his shop, and it looks like hes not open on weekends.

Has anyone ever had any similar experieces? What caused it? Also could theis have permenantly damaged by gearbox?

Any input would be appreciated.

-Cheers

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
how many kms has it done? its weird coz mines an 02 model thats done 225,000kms and the gearbox cops a hiding at the strip all the time and its never even slipped once let alone crap itself

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
it sounds like a cracked housing, or a cracked oil pan or gasket up the creek, but 2 days i would take it back to the transmission guy.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
how many kms has it done? its weird coz mines an 02 model thats done 225,000kms and the gearbox cops a hiding at the strip all the time and its never even slipped once let alone crap itself

Just hit 210,000km last week. Yeah I don't have any big issues with the box, just takes a while to change gears since larger Throttle Body went in, but the corvette servo that the guy installed on Thursday seemed to fix that pretty well.